The Ravages of Time

What I remember about these old gas stations was the guy who ran out ( or not ) and pumped your gas, cleaned your windshield and checked your oil if you asked?
And you could fill up your '58 Edsel Pacer convertible (410 cu inch, 4 bbl Holley carb, that got about 8-9 mpg on a good night) with 19 cent a gallon gas and drive around the Dairy Queen half the night, then go out to the White Oak Bottom stretch of Hwy 100 where the bridges were exactly 1/4 mile apart and drag race! Ah, those were the days...

Last edited:
What I remember about these old gas stations was the guy who ran out ( or not ) and pumped your gas, cleaned your windshield and checked your oil if you asked? There were still a few around 30 years ago. Anyone remember when they installed just one self-serve and marketed it as the newest, coolest thing ever offered? I remember thinking ' Uh oh '.

Now you have the privilege of choosing the self checkout at grocery stores too. Uh oh.

Wonderful photos, thanks for posting!
Yup. We're paying AND doing the work of a cashier and bagger. Won't be long before that cashier and bagger are looking for jobs again. Yikes☹

After reading @Ole Miss 's latest thread about Shiloh, it brought back many memories of those quaint (abandoned) landmarks that were part of the rural "back roads trip" when traveling to the park.

So I thought I would bump this thread from two years ago:

Along with a question ...

Even after twenty-four months, I wonder how many of these old places even still remain ?

:frown:

When our scout troop went to Shiloh we would always stop on the way home (2 hour drive) and get a drink and snack.
I liked a RC cola (bigger than coke) and pack of Tom’s cookies
Regards
David

When our scout troop went to Shiloh we would always stop on the way home (2 hour drive) and get a drink and snack.
I liked a RC cola (bigger than coke) and pack of Tom’s cookies
Regards
David
For me, it was an R oC Coca Cola and a Moon Pie

Gimme an RC and a bag of peanuts that I'll pour into the RC and be so happy.
When I was attending Ole Miss, I would always go to Shiloh with a North Mississippi buddy from
Chickasaw County. He knew more about Shiloh than the rest of us.

Regarding snacks,
For him it always a "Coke-a-Cola" & some "Lance peanuts".

:bounce:

He also insisted stopping at one of the same 1930's era filling stations between the town of Water Valley & the village of Coffeeville to buy a bottle of ICB root beer ... and a bag of local pork rinds.

We didn't buy real beer until we were on Interstate 55 and had arrived in Grenada.

:laugh:

Sorry to ramble, but it was the same type of road trip either going north to Shiloh or south to New Orleans.

All are memories of early Shiloh travels !

Last edited:
@redbob as long as you can do the vanilla ones I have both at the house and will hook you up .
Vanilla is at the top of my Moon Pie ladder, then chocolate and banana...we won't even talk about them. And IBC Root Beer has to be the tops when you can find it. Memories all of a simpler time. Some of the things that you saw in the old country stores were just plain scary to me, especially anything that was floating in a glass jug surrounded by some type of reddish liquid...:nah disagree:

I must admit that after I turned 21, I enjoyed my trips to Shiloh more than ever! I would stop in a few special places in McNairy county that sold that very cold type of drink that had gone bad, foamy head and acquired a new taste. Of course that was when I had specialized pallet that drank Falstaff, Jax, Great Lakes, Schlitz and of course that revered brew Katz beer! Tremendous food items to go with a cold brewski such as: peanuts, beer nuts, Slim Jim, pickled eggs, pretzel rods, and pig's feet if you were really hungry!!

Of course I grew up and those halcyon days passed, which probably saved my life somewhere along the way.
Regards
David

Last edited:
I must admit that after I turned 21, I enjoyed my trips to Shiloh more than ever! I would stop in a few special places in McNamara county that sold that very cold type of drink that had gone bad, foamy head and acquired a new taste. Of course that was when I had specialized pallet that drank Falstaff, Jax, Great Lakes, Schlitz and of course that revered brew Katz beer! Tremendous food items to go with a cold brewski such as: peanuts, beer nuts, Slim Jim, pickled eggs, pretzel rods, and pig's feet if you were really hungry!!

Of course I grew up and those halcyon days passed, which probably saved my life somewhere along the way.
Regards
David
And then there was McNairy County; the home and domain of one Buford Pusser.

Buford Pusser was a man to be feared by all, espeically young dumb males. We were scared to death of him and we were on our best behavior!
Did you ever see his shirt in Ed Shaw's little display room? It was the size of tent! Huge!
Regards
David

Buford Pusser was a man to be feared by all, espeically young dumb males. We were scared to death of him and we were on our best behavior!
Did you ever see his shirt in Ed Shaw's little display room? It was the size of tent! Huge!
Regards
David
No, but I saw the remains of his burned Corvette that he met his demise in and got chased away by a loonie with a shotgun for my curiosity.

Here is one near me that is still in business. Not sure of the history but I plan to do a little research.

DSC_0858.jpg

Back