The Ravages of Time

No, but I saw the remains of his burned Corvette that he met his demise in and got chased away by a loonie with a shotgun for my curiosity.
After one of my trips to Shiloh NMP during the mid 2000s, a few within our group wanted to tour the sites up-river in
Savannah, Tennessee along with a side trip over to Buford Pusser's house/museum down the road in Adamsville, Tennessee.

That burned out shell of his Corvette had just been acquired by the museum and was not on display to the public.
But for some unknown reason, our tour guide let us view it for a few minutes. At the time, I could barely recognize
the ball of steel frames was once a car.

But it's something I will always remember.

Thank you for the memories David. Though I know little of your area, my visit in 2018 when I took an opportunity to travel some “side roads “, brought back a lot of my childhood memories of growing up in rule Virginia in the 1950s. During the summer, if we could scrape together 25 cents by turning in soda bottles we picked up beside the road, at 2 cent each, we could live in luxury by buying a RC, moon pie and bag of potato chips- set on the bank of the Rapphannock and catch cat fish while enjoying our windfall from one of those Ole country stores. Ah the memories!
I first visited Shiloh National Military Park in September of 1960 and fell utterly and hopelessly in love with this beautiful battlefield. I honestly can not remember how many times I have been back to visit but it must be well over 50 occasions.

Driving to the Park from Corinth on Hwy 2, one follows the same trail the Confederates used in moving to Shiloh for the battle and for retreating to Corinth. Hwy 2 is a meandering 2 lane road that passes through Acton and Michie, 2 small communities still vibrant and attractive.

These communities at one time each had small country stores and gas stations which were the nexus of the local neighborhood. They served the same purposes that the ubiquitous Dollar General stores provide today but in a smaller friendlier way. One could get a bologna sandwich with a slice of hoop cheese and a RC Cola and MoonPie which Dollar General can’t offer! I know many will have no idea of what I am saying but there are still a few of us remember those good ole days.

I remember driving by and stopping at these small businesses in many a trip to the Park but sadly these local landmarks are no longer in business or have been morphed into other uses. I thought I would share some photos of these bygone family owned and operated concerns.
Regards
David

View attachment 328617

View attachment 328619

I remember going to the high school football field om Saturday morning anf drinking the warm cokes in the old stand up coolers. Often a couple of bottles would end up in the basket of bike on the way to the Big Star grocery :unsure: Statue of limitations has passed
Regards
David

I remember going to the high school football field om Saturday morning anf drinking the warm cokes in the old stand up coolers. Often a couple of bottles would end up in the basket of bike on the way to the Big Star grocery :unsure: Statue of limitations has passed
Regards
David
Oh no, say it ain't so...

... I thought I would bump this thread from two years ago:

Along with a question ...

Even after twenty-four months, I wonder how many of these old places even still remain ?

:frown:
Last October during our annual CWT Muster I asked our guide Mr. Deberry about the famous Ed Shaw's and he pointed out the mowed area down and across the street from his shop where it formerly stood, saying it had only fairly recently been torn down. I remember it mainly because it was the gathering and registration place for at least a couple of the large Shiloh reenactments I attended in the past - 125th and 135th anniversaries I believe.

Back