The ramifications of Forrests Terms of Surrender??

Artemis Barca

Private
Forrest offering the black troops POW status seems like a huge deal and intensely fascinated me....

So how far was he going out on a limb to offer that??

Would it have set a precedent???

Would he have been reprimanded??

What political and career consequences would have Forrest faced??

Did Forrest face any career or political consequences just for the offer??

Did he face any for offering it??

Any information surrounding this issue I would greatly appreciate.

Forrest didn't offer them POW status but did say they would be treated the same as the white soldiers. If he had straight up said they had POW status...he'd of had a whole lot of 'splainin' to do! Forrest followed Confederate policy and the orders of his commander-in-chief, Jefferson Davis.

Forrest didn't offer them POW status but did say they would be treated the same as the white soldiers. If he had straight up said they had POW status...he'd of had a whole lot of 'splainin' to do! Forrest followed Confederate policy and the orders of his commander-in-chief, Jefferson Davis.
Didn't one of forrests men or the union negotiators ask for confirmation and Forrest reiterate it???

Was Forrest lying by saying they would be treated the same??

Was he saying the whites would be hung as escaped slaves??

Or was he being purposefully noncommittal?

Also earlier you mentioned that Forrest commonly promised no quarter, but then gave quarter..

Would that be an unspoken "rule" between his men?? Or do you think he would have specifically told them..

"I know I said no quarter, but when those jokers start surrendering you better stop shooting!"

NBF did regularly threaten no quarter. He did not say that the USCT members at Pillow POW Status they would be returned to a state of slavery per CSA law the white officers could be executed as inciting servile insurection but he didn't do that. Bradford was executed inroute south but for escape attempts so it's said.

Back