The question is not what he thinks of me, but what I think of him

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

SWMODave

First Sergeant
Forum Host
Thread Medic
LaSalle Corbell Pickett Mrs General Pickett 2.jpg

Lasalle Corbell Pickett
"Mrs. General Pickett"
General Lee was noted for his impartiality. Only worthy deeds won recognition from him. He was urged by some of his officers to give his own son command of a brigade, but he replied that he would not appoint an untried officer to so important a position.

He paid no more attention to personal antagonisms than to personal affection in the management of the army. He recommended a certain officer for promotion, despite the fact that friends urged him to withdraw his favor because the officer was in the habit of speaking disparagingly of Lee.

"The question is not what he thinks of me, but what I think of him," he said. "I have a very high opinion of this officer as a soldier and I shall certainly recommend him for promotion and do all in my power to secure it."

Mrs General Pickett,
Lippincott's Magazine, January, 1907

(read complete article titled "Personal Memoirs of Robert E Lee" here)

(Simple 15 word phrase with an amazing lesson to managers and leaders)

jackt62

1st Lieutenant
Interesting article. Given LaSalle Corbett Pickett's flair for enhancing events in her writings, I'm not surprised that her description of Lee is so exalted. On the other hand, her impression of Lee may seem curious given that she was a staunch defender of her husband who had a fraught relationship with Lee and was in fact relieved by Lee at the end of the war.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!