The Presidency of Ulysses S. Grant by Charles W. Calhoun

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
All of these other Grant books that I am reading (I have Calhoun, too) but what I REALLY want is The Fruits of Victory -- the other half of Triumph Over Adversity!!! (future release unknown)
Is it actually in the works?

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
From Nick Sacco's review:

And so, within a crowded field of new Grant scholarship and still widely divergent understandings of Grant’s presidency among history enthusiasts of all levels, Charles Calhoun’s new study of Ulysses S. Grant’s presidency manages to say something new about a greatly misunderstood time in American history. In assessing the Grant administration, Calhoun convincingly argues that Grant’s presidency “produced a record of considerable energy and success, tempered at times by frustration and blighted expectation."

...I highly recommend Calhoun’s book.

Canadian

Sergeant
Excuse this post. Writing on my phone I somehow put the reply to another thread into this one and can't figure out how to delete it. So this is the placeholder text.

Last edited:

Canadian

Sergeant
I'm not sure if I understood something in Part 3 of this review. You mentioned the idea of Grant becoming delusional about the failure of Santo Domingo annexation. Was that your opinion or Calhoun's?

Canadian

Sergeant
I would like to add regarding the Santo Domingo issue : if Grant had ignored Congress and invaded Santo Domingo violently he would have been acclaimed by many and probably have been ranked higher in presidential popularity contests. The fact that he accepted Congress's verdict but grumbled about it for a few years should not be held against him too much.

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
It has been mentioned as "forthcoming" in at least two Simpson/Grant interviews in the last year. My fingers are crossed (some toes, too) because I have encouraged quite a few people to read Triumph Over Adversity.
Good to hear.

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
I would like to add regarding the Santo Domingo issue : if Grant had ignored Congress and invaded Santo Domingo violently he would have been acclaimed by many and probably have been ranked higher in presidential popularity contests. The fact that he accepted Congress's verdict but grumbled about it for a few years should not be held against him too much.
I found the DR material interesting, but I am guessing it did not win him any readers.

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
I'm not sure if I understood something in Part 3 of this review. You mentioned the idea of Grant becoming delusional about the failure of Santo Domingo annexation. Was that your opinion or Calhoun's?
Mine, based on reading Grant's message.

HiramUlysses

Cadet
I spoke with Brooks a couple years ago (and that's been my most recent communication with him) and he confirmed that his second volume is indeed still forthcoming. It sounds like Bee has more recent confirmation than I do, but I am also very hopeful it is still on the radar. Of course, at this point if we haven't heard anything too solid, I'd guess it's still at least a couple years out, given that once the manuscript is finished and ready for publishing, announcements are usually made and that's usually 6-12 months before release. At this point, I'd be surprised if it's out before 2020.

Bee

Captain
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017
I just hope The Fruits of Victory will come out while I'm still on this earth to read it! Could someone please suggest that Dr. Simpson hurry things up a bit?

I will see him in June; I will find a way to tactfully bring up this time is of the essence, dilemma. Although, I would like to believe that you will Bee on this planet for a protracted period of time :smile:

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
I will see him in June; I will find a way to tactfully bring up this time is of the essence, dilemma. Although, I would like to believe that you will Bee on this planet for a protracted period of time :smile:
Let us know the answer.