The predicted outcome of resupplying Ft. Sumter

Lincoln's actions caused the war just as much as John Browns' raid, the Kansas Nebraska act, or the Missouri compromise. You can keep going back, probably to the Declaration of Independence. The States who at the time had already seceded, had been drafting a constitution even as they sent peace delegations. War, at that point, was in all likely-hood inevitable as the United States would not recognise secession and the rebellious states were intent on leaving.

When made aware of Lincoln's plans to resupply the fort, which he made aware to SC Governor making its way up to Davis who then ordered Beauregard to demand the surrender once more and if it did not then to reduce it. Davis was fully aware of the consequences of such a move, as Lincoln made it clear the result if force was used.

Fort Sumter was Federal property of the US. Secession doesn't change that. There was no law that said all Federal property in a seceded state automatically becomes property of the seceded state.
True, but property changing hands is common during hostilities, legal or not.
Yea, the war could have started with a dispute over Tomato or Mustard based BBQ sauce.
Heathens, NC Vinegar based or we start shooting.

Lincoln's actions caused the war just as much as John Browns' raid, the Kansas Nebraska act, or the Missouri compromise. You can keep going back, probably to the Declaration of Independence. The States who at the time had already seceded, had been drafting a constitution even as they sent peace delegations. War, at that point, was in all likely-hood inevitable as the United States would not recognise secession and the rebellious states were intent on leaving.

When made aware of Lincoln's plans to resupply the fort, which he made aware to SC Governor making its way up to Davis who then ordered Beauregard to demand the surrender once more and if it did not then to reduce it. Davis was fully aware of the consequences of such a move, as Lincoln made it clear the result if force was used.
The irony in all this is PGT and Anderson were friends, if memory serves, Anderson was an instructor PGT was under. There were some very cordial correspondence back and forth between them.

There is doubt Lincoln would given such warning had Seward not previously communicated with the Confederates.

I don't believe there was a law either way

Either our Founding Fathers never intended secession to happen, or they were so short-sighted they never passed (or even attempted to pass) a law defining the secession process.

Who allows an "enemy" to be located inside of it's borders and be OK with it?

Fort Sumter was only within Confederate borders because the state seceded.

Furthermore, the fort was owned by the Federal government on an artificial island constructed by the Federal government.

For a little comparison and using a little stretch of imagination, could you imagine an active Confederate Fort located on the edge of New York Harbor ?? And with the South trying to actively supply it??

No, I can't imagine it, because there is no plausible scenario in which it could happen.

To use a 20th century comparison: when the Soviets blockaded Berlin, you think the US should have evacuated West Berlin instead of having an airlift.

Either our Founding Fathers never intended secession to happen, or they were so short-sighted they never passed (or even attempted to pass) a law defining the secession process.

I'll agree with that.

Fort Sumter was only within Confederate borders because the state seceded.

I'll agree with that too.

Furthermore, the fort was owned by the Federal government on an artificial island constructed by the Federal government.

Doesn't matter.

They were in Confederate territory and needed to go.

No, I can't imagine it, because there is no plausible scenario in which it could happen.

That's why I stated you need "a little stretch of imagination". But my point still stands for anyone who can get what I am getting at.

Any two opposing nation/states would do, lol.
I think it is a story like a lot of the rise several nations during the wave of nationalism in the 19th century. One group is going to win unifying several groups into one nation under its vision. Germany and Italy are 2 examples. If the North and South had been separated at birth, I am not that sure a war would have resulted, but the union of both meant that an idea of a single nation had time to develop and eventually win. In that view, the idea of 'union 'is revolutionary and the North is the revolutionaries while the South is the counter-revolutionaries wanting to stop the world and get off. One people of urbanization and industrialization unlike most of the world vs a people like most of the world unchanged since the revolution.

Discussed at
The Differences between the Antebellum North and South

I do think the whole Japanese and the Battle of Pearl harbor is interesting it does not seem to related to the predicted outcome of resupplying Ft. Sumter. Certainly the United States did not have to move strong military forces to Hawaii and the Philippines and I guess doing so is vaguely similar to supply Fort Sumter.

The South did try peace. They were ignored by the Lincolnistas.
Lincolnistas was a good dance group in the 1920s
Carmen.png

Back