The predicted outcome of resupplying Ft. Sumter

It wasn't the South's fort.

Not originally, no.

But that said, I don't believe they were looking for a Deed of Trust. They just wanted it vacated.

You eventually did get them out of there. But it didn't work out quite as you hoped.

They did not know that at the time. You could say that about a lot of things in life.

Last edited:
And there was the mistake.

They should have stuck to their first intuitions.
Very true, in comparison of en excerpt of Caleb Smith’s following statement with Lincoln’s later letter to Fox:

“As the attempt to supply the fort with provisions without the consent of the authorities of South Carolina, would doubtless induce an attack by them, the effect of such an attempt, whether successful or not, would be the early loss of the Fort, and the destruction, or capture of MajAndersons command.”

"You and I both anticipated that the cause of the country would be advanced by making the attempt to provision Ft Sumter, even if it should fail; and it is no small consolation now to feel that our anticipation is justified by the result."

Let's not forget Jeff Davis could have been nice and let bread for starving men in.

jgoodguy, isn't one of the reasons for a siege is to force the surrender of a town, or military facility via starvation (lack of supplies)?

siege - an act of surrounding a town or location and preventing the entry of reinforcements and supplies, in order to force the defenders to surrender.

Starvation is harsh, but.................War is hell............

Respectfully,
William
7.JPG

jgoodguy, isn't one of the reasons for a siege is to force the surrender of a town, or military facility via starvation (lack of supplies)?

siege - an act of surrounding a town or location and preventing the entry of reinforcements and supplies, in order to force the defenders to surrender.

Starvation is harsh, but.................War is hell............

Respectfully,
William
View attachment 179765
Last I checked, but just think the Garrison at Fort Sumter getting fresh food, regular visits by Northern reporters on how good they got it, delay and obfuscation, the Lincoln administration unable to do anything, Northern disunion and CSA independence days occasioned by celebratory tables of the Fort Sumter fare.

Lincoln realized that any attempt to resupply Ft. Sumter would probably result in hostilities. Before he even took office, the Union had tried to resupply the fort but the merchant vessel that was sent was forced to turn back due to cannon fire. South Carolina had already demanded that the fort be abandoned.

There was no law that said all Federal property in a seceded state automatically becomes property of the seceded state.

I don't believe there was a law either way, but as I have stated many times before:

Who allows an "enemy" to be located inside of it's borders and be OK with it?

For a little comparison and using a little stretch of imagination, could you imagine an active Confederate Fort located on the edge of New York Harbor ?? And with the South trying to actively supply it??

Would the North be OK with that?

I don't believe there was a law either way, but as I have stated many times before:

Who allows an "enemy" to be located inside of it's borders and be OK with it?

For a little comparison and using a little stretch of imagination, could you imagine an active Confederate Fort located on the edge of New York Harbor ?? And with the South trying to actively supply it??

Would the North be OK with that?
The bigger issue is how to resolve the issue. Unfortunately, in this case, South Carolina and her associates decided to use force.

The bigger issue is how to resolve the issue. Unfortunately, in this case, South Carolina and her associates decided to use force.

Only because the North would not agree to leave.

They were very politely asked and the South patiently waited, but they just would not comply. I have posted the original back and forth letters online here before and will located them again if anyone wishes.

Last I checked, but just think the Garrison at Fort Sumter getting fresh food, regular visits by Northern reporters on how good they got it, delay and obfuscation, the Lincoln administration unable to do anything, Northern disunion and CSA independence days occasioned by celebratory tables of the Fort Sumter fare.

I don't think Lincoln or his administration was powerless and unable to do anything. The choices he made, was doing something. He just made the wrong choices. Lincoln has been portrayed by some "historians" as a political genius, political geniuses find ways of adverting war, not causing them.

I know we will hear from many who will say Lincoln's actions did not cause the war..............Many in his cabinet thought his actions would instigate/provoke a war, and they did.

One thing I will say, Lincoln was in a very difficult situation in the Fort Sumter crisis.

But my old friend, we have argued this old horse to death over the years.................We have woulda's, coulda's. shoulda's, in the end we have what actually happened.............

Respectfully,
William
7.JPG

Only because the North would not agree to leave.

They were very politely asked and the South patiently waited, but they just would not comply. I have posted the original back and forth letters online here before and will located them again if anyone wishes.
Thanks for your response.
It's all a matter of perspective. US: "It is ours, why should we go?"; rebels: "We just made it ours, we are taking it. You've got to get out."

I don't think Lincoln or his administration was powerless and unable to do anything. The choices he made, was doing something. He just made the wrong choices. Lincoln has been portrayed by some "historians" as a political genius, political geniuses find ways of adverting war, not causing them.

I know we will hear from many who will say Lincoln's actions did not cause the war..............Many in his cabinet thought his actions would instigate/provoke a war, and they did.

One thing I will say, Lincoln was in a very difficult situation in the Fort Sumter crisis.

But my old friend, we have argued this old horse to death over the years.................We have woulda's, coulda's. shoulda's, in the end we have what actually happened.............

Respectfully,
William
View attachment 179796
Yea, the war could have started with a dispute over Tomato or Mustard based BBQ sauce.

Yea, the war could have started with a dispute over Tomato or Mustard based BBQ sauce.

I hesitated earlier jgg to comment--but so itched to--on your judicious restraint in not posing a choice between pork or beef BBQ. I was afraid warfare of a different kind would breakout if such were mentioned. :hungry: :sneaky:

I hesitated earlier jgg to comment--but so itched to--on your judicious restraint in not posing a choice between pork or beef BBQ. I was afraid warfare of a different kind would breakout if such were mentioned. :hungry: :sneaky:
Good point, a chicken in each pit will be post-war.

Back