The Photographic Pennsylvania Civil War Thread

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
This seemed far to long and involved a thread to get into. It will either be added to or wither away. Why Ladies Tea? Because Ladies will be represented also. This is Photographic Pennsylvania in the Civil War.

" During the American Civil War, the commonwealth of Pennsylvania played a critical role in the Union, providing a huge supply of military manpower, equipment, and leadership to the Federal government. The state raised over 360,000 soldiers for the Federal armies... "

pa state flag.JPG

pa 50th at Beaufort.JPG

The 50th Pennsylvania Infantry at Beaufort, South Carolina. The regiment very nearly did not make it to Beaufort. En route their transport foundered in heavy seas and the high winds of a squall. Tough men from Schuylkill County, PA jumped into action saving the ship and crew. True story. My grgrgrandfather Harry Walton is one of these men. I've always wondered how the line up. He was company ' A ', would have been in the front?

pa 150 1.JPG

150th Pennsylvania
pa 150 2.JPG

pa bat b 1.JPG

pa bat b 2.JPG

pa gen winfield hancock.JPG

General Winfield Scott Hancock

Winfield Scott Hancock and his identical twin brother Hilary Baker Hancock were born on February 14, 1824, in Montgomery Square, Pennsylvania, a hamlet just northwest of Philadelphia in present-day Montgomery Township

pa 75th reunion battle gettysburg un and conf.JPG

75th Gettysburg Reunion, Confederate and Union Veterans

http://www.pacivilwarflags.org/index.cfm

pa 78th 1.JPG

78th Pennsylvania Infantry

pa adm david dixon porter.JPG

Admiral David Dixon Porter

Born June 8, 1813, Chester, PA

pa 143rd vets 1914.JPG

Veterans 143rd Pennsylvania Regiment

pa drum corp 1st reg pa reserves.JPG

Drum Corps of the 1st Regiment Pennsylvania Reserves

pa gov andrew curtain.JPG

Pennsylvania Gov Andrew Curtain

pa inf 96th.JPG

Edit- 36th PA, 7th PA Reserves in camp outside of DC

pa gettysbg reunio.JPG

Another photo of the 75th Gettysburg Reunion

Last edited:
pa maj gen george meade.JPG

Major General George Meade

Meade’s family found itself .... in Pennsylvania.
http://www.history.com/topics/american-civil-war/george-g-meade

pa maj gen john hartranft.JPG

Hartranft was born in Fagleysville, a village in New Hanover Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, near Pottstown, the son of Mary Lydia (Bucher) and Samuel Engle Hartranft.
He is also my 3rd cousin. A Billman married a Hartranft.

pa maj gen john reynlds.JPG

Major General John Reynolds
September 20, 1820
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
pa soldier flag.JPG

pa rep thaddeus steven.JPG

Thaddeus Stevens

United States House of Representatives
He moved to Pennsylvania as a young man, and quickly became a successful lawyer in Gettysburg.

pa philly brigade.JPG

Philadelphia Brigade- can someone please identify what they meant? I've lost the link.

" Philadelphia Brigade"... Was comprised of the 69th, 71st, 72nd, and 106th PV...
They were in the 2nd Corp, 2nd Division. These were also the troops that occupied the angle at the copse of trees at Gettysburg "
Edited to add, provided by @Frederick14Va

pa soldiers.JPG

There was no ID on these men other than Pennsylvania soldiers.

pa troops.JPG

Pennsylvania troops

pa york hosp.JPG

York Hospital, York, Pennsylvania. My grgrgrandfather, Harry , 50th PA was here at some point after a wound received at Spotsylvania.

Last edited:
"Philadelphia Brigade"... Was comprised of the 69th, 71st, 72nd, and 106th PV...
They were in the 2nd Corp, 2nd Division. These were also the troops that occupied the angle at the copse of trees at Gettysburg

(Our reenactment unit is a dual unit.. Both CS and US... our Federal impression is that of the 106th PV)

Last edited:
pa 2nd pa 1.jpg

pa 2nd pa 2.JPG
LoC

pa 3rd reg 1.jpg

3rd Pennsylvania

pa 37th pa flag.jpg

Flag of the 37th Pennsylvania

pa 69th pa.jpg

Officers of the 69th Pennsylvania

pa 110th pa.jpg

110th Pennsylvania

pa 114th pa staff in front of petersbg.jpg

114th Pennsylvania staff officers in front of Petersburg.

pa co h 36th pa.jpg

Co H, 36th Pennsylvania

pa co h 114th.jpg

Co H, 114th Pennsylvanie

pa mary tepe 114th pa.jpg

Mary Tepe, 114th Pennsylvania
Marie Tepe or "French Mary
" served with the 114th Pennsylvania Volunteers (Collis' Zouaves) during the American Civil War. A French immigrant, she married a Philadelphia tailor and followed him into the army when he enlisted in the 27th Pennsylvania Volunteers. Later she joined Collis' Zouaves and saw out the war with that regiment. She received a bullet in the bullet wound to the ankle. For her bravery she received the coveted Kearny Cross

pa officers 50th.jpg

50th Pennsylvania, Officers

pa officers 50th2.jpg

pa thomas e rose 77th pa infantry.jpg

Thomas Rose, 77th Pennsylvania Infantry

Civil War Union Brevet Brigadier General. Served in the Civil War as Colonel and commander of the 77th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. Captured at the Battle of Chickamauga, he is most reknown for engineering the escape of 109 Union officers held prisoner at Richmond's infamous Libby Prison. Using only an old pocket knife, a spittoon and a few other meager objects, Colonel Rose and others dug a tunnel 53 feet in 17 days. They made their escape on February 9, 1864. 59 Officers made it back to Union lines, 2 drowned and 49 were recaptured, including Colonel Rose. He didn't stay in prison too much longer, being exchanged in April 1864. He fought gallantly in the Atlanta Campaign, and was rather belatedly given the honorary brevet promotion to Brigadier General, USV on July 22, 1865.

pa philly women.jpg

Women of Philadephia sewing a giant flag

Using this to represent the 6th United States Cavalry. Composed largely of Pennsylvanians, there are no identified photos of the regiment during the war- who knows which Rappahannock crossing this photograph represents? They could be here!

Also representing Trooper George Knarr, Company H 6th US Cavalry, my grgrgrandfather also from Schuylkill Haven, PA
cav rappahanock.jpg

See the book, http://www.amazon.com/dp/0786468351/?tag=civilwartalkc-20, Don Caughey for more. There's also a current website for the 6th Cav museum for some reason not responding this morning.

[QUOTE
View attachment 76659
96th Pennsylvania Regiment in camp outside of DC

[/QUOTE]

A very minor correction: This is actually the 36th Pa. / 7th Pennsylvania Reserves…

This photo was also the subject of one of the most fun threads I remember the forum having. 'Wilbur 150' (?….sorry if I botched you moniker, Wilbur) blew up sections of the photo (with great resolution) and we all had fun dissecting it close up….

I have this somewhere….this specific regiment has been my personal focus for a long time…..I have the photo with the LOC catalog number somewhere….I'll find it just for the sake of accuracy….that we all love to point out to each other.

[QUOTE
View attachment 76659
96th Pennsylvania Regiment in camp outside of DC

A very minor correction: This is actually the 36th Pa. / 7th Pennsylvania Reserves…

This photo was also the subject of one of the most fun threads I remember the forum having. 'Wilbur 150' (?….sorry if I botched you moniker, Wilbur) blew up sections of the photo (with great resolution) and we all had fun dissecting it close up….

I have this somewhere….this specific regiment has been my personal focus for a long time…..I have the photo with the LOC catalog number somewhere….I'll find it just for the sake of accuracy….that we all love to point out to each other.[/QUOTE]

Thanks VERY much! That is not a minor correction either- really genuinely appreciate it! I'll correct that- and anything else you find? Please do keep an eye on this if you don't mind? Really appreciate the help- as do all the men incorrectly listed! :smile:

I LOVE all those old threads Wilbur et al blew up and discussed- be great to have them bumped!

Back