The Photographic Album by J B Lippincott

1552768764504.png

Isaac Israel Hayes
(March 5, 1832 – December 17, 1881) was an American Arctic explorer, physician, and politician,[1] who was appointed as the commanding officer at Satterlee General Hospital during the American Civil War,[2] and was then elected, post-war, to the New York State Assembly.
His book, The Open Polar Sea: A Narrative of a Voyage of Discovery towards the North Pole, in the Schooner United States, was published in 1867.[3]

View attachment 297366
Isaac Israel Hayes
(March 5, 1832 – December 17, 1881) was an American Arctic explorer, physician, and politician,[1] who was appointed as the commanding officer at Satterlee General Hospital during the American Civil War,[2] and was then elected, post-war, to the New York State Assembly.
His book, The Open Polar Sea: A Narrative of a Voyage of Discovery towards the North Pole, in the Schooner United States, was published in 1867.[3]
Thank you, he is already identified.

And we will try to find out about the family who owned this house in the photo

It's a post war photo, but you already know that? Women's styles did this hysterical, slow flip- extravagant size moved slowly upwards- from voluminous skirts to straight, from severity of bodice and sleeves to all that blousy front and massive sleeves. Love their dogs, ignoring everyone!

View attachment 297366
Isaac Israel Hayes

Never heard of him, thank you! An arctic explorer, whoa. They have crazy good stories- guess when you've been through an entire war, a little Arctic exploration isn't daunting.

View attachment 297366
Isaac Israel Hayes
and again photos from the album.
IMG_20190228_093149.jpg

Think the little girl is probablt related to the women you showed ealier. There seems to be some similarities.
Next in the album are photos that have already been shown. But I wonder, who is meeting exactly this picture of General Sheridan?
IMG_20190224_110352.jpg

Next in the album are photos that have already been shown. But I wonder, who is meeting exactly this picture of General Sheridan?View attachment 297717
I don't quite understand what it is you're asking, but here's a period print by Currier & Ives of a slightly different photo of Sheridan obviously taken at the same sitting. Through the middle part of the war Sheridan seems to have worn a beard but from other photographic evidence he seems to have gotten rid of it for good in late 1864 or early 1865.
19146398_1_xCurrier & Ives Sheridan.jpg

You understood absolutely right, it is this negative in the photo that interests me, is it known before?

You understood absolutely right, it is this negative in the photo that interests me, is it known before?
Yes, I have seen that particular pose reproduced somewhere before. It was common to take several different photos during sittings, so it's always possible to discover a previously unknown one so you are right to wonder.
Another album page, I hope for your attention.
About your most recent ones, of course Maj. Gen. William Rosecrans is identified and the others are also known "personalities" too. The civilian next to him is Judge Joseph Holt, a crony and employee of Edwin Stanton's at the War Department - Holt was one of those responsible for the prosecution of such "war criminals" as were tried after the war like the Commandant of Andersonville Prison Capt. Henry Wirz, and the so-called Conspirators in the Lincoln Assination. Below them are two naval officers, at left Admiral David G. Farragut; unfortunately, I don't recognize the one at right, though it *may* be Samuel F. DuPont - but I'll bet @AndyHall or @Mark F. Jenkins will!

Yes, I have seen that particular pose reproduced somewhere before. It was common to take several different photos during sittings, so it's always possible to discover a previously unknown one so you are right to wonder.

About your most recent ones, of course Maj. Gen. William Rosecrans is identified and the others are also known "personalities" too. The civilian next to him is Judge Joseph Holt, a crony and employee of Edwin Stanton's at the War Department - Holt was one of those responsible for the prosecution of such "war criminals" as were tried after the war like the Commandant of Andersonville Prison Capt. Henry Wirz, and the so-called Conspirators in the Lincoln Assination. Below them are two naval officers, at left Admiral David G. Farragut; unfortunately, I don't recognize the one at right, though it *may* be Samuel F. DuPont - but I'll bet @AndyHall or @Mark F. Jenkins will!
Fine! All answers received! Thank!

Wasn't known to me, but I wouldn't claim to be an expert on every photographic record of any naval officer (other than Henry Walke, I suppose).

Yes, I believe the last is DuPont. Thanks, James N.

Back