The Photographic Album by J B Lippincott

Not so long ago my friend asked me to indentificate people pictured in the Photographic Album published in Philadelphia by J B Lippincott.
Some well known persons like Grant and Sherman can be identificated, by many images puzzled me. I've tried to search in internet but still advanced not far.

If someone can help me with identification, it would be great.View attachment 294990View attachment 294991View attachment 294993View attachment 294994View attachment 294996

View attachment 294989
Notice that it's common in this period to include "famous" people like Meade (also from Pennsylvania), Grant, Sherman, Sheridan and John C. Calhoun in otherwise "family" albums along with legitimate family members.

Besides the above-mentioned PoW memoir, I find A. R. Calhoun also published a number of fictional short stories, and novels, as well as, in 1870:
ARCalhoun1870.jpg

[https://archive.org/details/colorguardmili00calh/page/n8]​

Notice that it's common in this period to include "famous" people like Meade (also from Pennsylvania), Grant, Sherman, Sheridan and John C. Calhoun in otherwise "family" albums along with legitimate family members.
Here is another photo in which a person looks like General Custer.
IMG_20190224_110047.jpg

That exactly what we wanted: to divide famous people from family members and friends.
Sometimes it's hard because they weren't particular about including the famous in what otherwise were albums of family and friends, more like "collectables" today. Photos like this were a new fad and sometimes collected for novelty items.

Sometimes it's hard because they weren't particular about including the famous in what otherwise were albums of family and friends, more like "collectables" today. Photos like this were a new fad and sometimes collected for novelty items.
Here is the first album page with photos. Down on the right, presumably Colonel Bowers.
1552337193624.jpg
1552337443279.jpg

I'm guessing that the four on that page are probably all personal friends, possibly men he served with.

1552416221167.png

SAWYER, JR., THOMAS J.—Age, 25 years. Enrolled, April 27, 1862, at New York city, to serve three years; mustered in as first lieutenant, Co. A, May 1, 1862; as captain, April 1, 1863; discharged for disability, July 2S, 1864; commissioned first lieutenant, May 19, 1862, with rank from April 29, 1862, vice.E. Eddy, Jr., promoted; captain, June 19, 1863, with rank from March 31, 1863, vice A. B. Nicholson, promoted.

Back