The Photographic Album by J B Lippincott

Long Andy

Cadet
Not so long ago my friend asked me to indentificate people pictured in the Photographic Album published in Philadelphia by J B Lippincott.
Some well known persons like Grant and Sherman can be identificated, by many images puzzled me. I've tried to search in internet but still advanced not far.

If someone can help me with identification, it would be great.
cw-ZCNG-_xg.jpg
703nOeRmkwE.jpg
7GULDWHkPUY.jpg
e-Io5u3STWE.jpg
r7LfCPgmUJ0.jpg

Q-MrXXfd6Xg.jpg

I was hoping someone knew more- hadn't come across this one although it's crazy seeing Hayes in there. Who is the boy, does anyone know?

" With the graceful regards of The Ladies Aid Society of Weldon...", so they presented him with the leather album to put his images in or made a gift of photos of people he served with/knew? Montgomery County was amazingly active with relief work- haven't heard much on Weldon specifically but now am fascinated!

@Long Andy , have you tried the historical society or museum in Harrisburg? Both the Civil War museum and state museum have incredible staff. They may know more?

I was hoping someone knew more- hadn't come across this one although it's crazy seeing Hayes in there. Who is the boy, does anyone know?

" With the graceful regards of The Ladies Aid Society of Weldon...", so they presented him with the leather album to put his images in or made a gift of photos of people he served with/knew? Montgomery County was amazingly active with relief work- haven't heard much on Weldon specifically but now am fascinated!

@Long Andy , have you tried the historical society or museum in Harrisburg? Both the Civil War museum and state museum have incredible staff. They may know more?

Well, when we first looked at the images from this album, we thought that we can compare them with the well-known images of historical persons and find some new, that were unknown till today. But it was rather difficult task.

Instead I've tried to find some information about the owner of the album, major Alfred R. Calhoun. The single link with short biography of Calhoun I've posted earlier. It is sad that he was major in the unknown Kentucky regiment and was in Confederate prison during the war.
Unfortunately I've found no information about his service - very strange undoubtedly, since we talk about officer.
I attach below the images of Alfred R. Calhoun - since these gentleman appears more often in the album I think this is he. The single image of him in uniform shows us that he is colonel and not the major. Very stange.

I've searched digital data of American newspapers and found that major Alfred R. Calhoun first mentioned in early 90s of the century in his article about escape from confederate prison.
https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...FilterType=yearRange&rows=20&searchType=basic

So, could it be that mr.Calhoun attached his rank after the war with the aim of adding some weight to his name?

JPK Huson, as to the boy in uniform, it comes to mind just two boys that can be portrayed in uniform: the son of Lincoln and the son of Grant. But I may be mistaken.

1To7-vmWfBs.jpg

48I9TmOBEpE.jpg

DKP_NNMFZ00.jpg

FUZ-VLYKC6s.jpg

HsxTo6yV0kA.jpg

RdVJoh0B-9g.jpg

YwteFUEiZsc.jpg

zkmXmpvgr80.jpg

Attachments

• seq-4.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 166
  • seq-6.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 140
Может ли это быть Генри Армстронг "Аути" Рид?
IMG_20190228_093345.jpg

Could this be Henry Armstrong "Autie" Reed?
Interesting. The only only photo I've seen of him is the poor quality one at his wikipedia entry. And his more famous family members show up when doing an image search for him. I can't say either way if it's him or not him.

Yes, that photo. This is much larger than the on at wikipedia. Looking at this I say they are not they same. Differences are: eyes, earlobe, nose and lips.

Well, when we first looked at the images from this album, we thought that we can compare them with the well-known images of historical persons and find some new, that were unknown till today. But it was rather difficult task.

Instead I've tried to find some information about the owner of the album, major Alfred R. Calhoun. The single link with short biography of Calhoun I've posted earlier. It is sad that he was major in the unknown Kentucky regiment and was in Confederate prison during the war.
Unfortunately I've found no information about his service - very strange undoubtedly, since we talk about officer.
I attach below the images of Alfred R. Calhoun - since these gentleman appears more often in the album I think this is he. The single image of him in uniform shows us that he is colonel and not the major. Very stange.
His records can be seen on Fold3, but I don't have access. Does anyone else? His shown on the blurb as a captain, so may have been brevetted major post-war.

Here is another photo from this album, in whose military uniform is this young man dressed?View attachment 296415
That's the full dress uniform of a Philadelphia Militia Cavalry unit, called something like the The First City Troop. They existed at least from the Revolution or early Federal period until WWII - and may still!

1552329011179.png

I believe this is the very BEST example I've even seen of wearing of shoulder rank insignia - in this case a full colonel - directly sewn on the shoulder without the "sardine tins" or embroidered rectangular shoulder straps!

Back