The Photographic Album by J B Lippincott

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Being able to narrow down the location of the family would sure be helpful. Lippincott was a Philadelphia firm although that may not be a lead- how extensively were their products sold?

Somewhere in this album exist clues. You just know Butler's image is one. Also hate making sweeping statements but women's clothing can be a small help IMO. Some things don't change- there's a flamboyant edge to what wealthy women wore in say, NYC and D.C. while it's always seemed to me ( without qualification as an expert ) styles seem ' quieter ' in say, Philly and places where ' old money ' lived. That's just a personal observation, easily shot to heck if someone knows what they're talking about.

Being able to narro
IMG_20190224_110540.jpg
w down the location of the family would sure be helpful. Lippincott was a Philadelphia firm although that may not be a lead- how extensively were their products sold?

Somewhere in this album exist clues. You just know Butler's image is one. Also hate making sweeping statements but women's clothing can be a small help IMO. Some things don't change- there's a flamboyant edge to what wealthy women wore in say, NYC and D.C. while it's always seemed to me ( without qualification as an expert ) styles seem ' quieter ' in say, Philly and places where ' old money ' lived. That's just a personal observation, easily shot to heck if someone knows what they're talking about.
I hope that the one who knows, sooner or later will see and tell. Thank you so much for your opinion and advice.
IMG_20190228_093309.jpg

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Of course the one at bottom left looks like another and possibly postwar photo of the owner of the album - the others, who knows?

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
1554230477552.png

This one bears a strong resemblance to noted abolitionist, onetime Pennsylvania Governor, and wartime Major General John W. Geary who was a division commander in the Twelfth Corps at Gettysburg, Chattanooga, and the Atlanta Campaign; I believe it's him.

1554230793087.png

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
previously met this photo in civilian clothes
Not sure - I don't think I had ever seen it before and was struck by the similarity between the two photos of Geary in and out of uniform; however, he was such a prominent figure both political and military he must've been photographed many times.

Not sure - I don't think I had ever seen it before and was struck by the similarity between the two photos of Geary in and out of uniform; however, he was such a prominent figure both political and military he must've been photographed many times.
In this case, can it be Ariovistus Pardee Jr.?
IMG_20190224_110455.jpg

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)