The Perks Of Volunteering At The Museum

Oliver Hardy (one half of the Comedy team Laurel and Hardy) was also in the movie. Hardy's father had been a Confederate soldier from Georgia and had been wounded at Antietam.
OT I know, but another sire of a contemporary to Hardy is the fellow below who I've posted previously - Taken from a group photo of Col. John Singleton Mosby and some of his Raiders from Maryland, it shows circled the father of radio star Freeman Gosden, better known as creator of and title character from the Amos 'N Andy Show!

1617291453336.png

So how do I become a volunteer at the Marengo County History Museum? :giggle:
I will get you signed up. Its EZ duty all you have to do is sit there and wait on folks to come and then give them the tour or liberate books from them.

Isn't that the truth!?!??! He has to be the luckiest person I know!

Not only does he get the opportunity to purchase the book that is rare as hens teeth --- but of all the Confederates it could have belonged to, he winds up with the volume issued to Young M. Moody. 😯 What are the chances of that? Unbelievable.

Congratulations @ucvrelics ! I'm still working on the second line but maybe someone else will have deciphered it by the time I get home from work.
Ala. has for some time past been separated from his regiment.................

Ala. has for some time past been separated from his regiment.................
Thanks @Biscoitos That's the second line of the letter I posted, but the second line we were trying to decipher was this one. Very faded.....under "Capt Y M Moody". @ucvrelics and @FarawayFriend ID'd it as "Marengo Rifles" and since that was Capt. Moody's company, it certainly makes sense that it would be inscribed under his name. I can make out Maren__ ___fl___ so I agreed with them. Can you make it out?
1617316858256.png

After verbally abusing, harassing and haranguing him for hours and finally sitting on him until he consented, I am proud to say that I am now the owner of this remarkable book. It is particularly special to me as my maternal G-G-Grandfather was in the 11th Alabama along with Captain Moody and most certainly knew him. Thank you ucvrelics, and even after what my wife says about you ,you are not such a bad fellow after all.:wink:

"Thank you ucvrelics, and even after what my wife says about you ,you are not such a bad fellow after all.:wink:"

This has to be one of the best "compliments" I have read on the Forums....hilarious, yet well-intentioned.🤣

Congrats Redbob ... :smile coffee: ... I am extremely envious (but in a positive way).

ucvrelics must be planning his month-long trip to Hawaii now...:playfull:

"Thank you ucvrelics, and even after what my wife says about you ,you are not such a bad fellow after all.:wink:"

This has to be one of the best "compliments" I have read on the Forums....hilarious, yet well-intentioned.🤣

Congrats Redbob ... :smile coffee: ... I am extremely envious (but in a positive way).

ucvrelics must be planning his month-long trip to Hawaii now...:playfull:
Visions of sugarplums were dancing in his head...actually he was very gracious and subdued-I instantly became suspicious. :wink:

After verbally abusing, harassing and haranguing him for hours and finally sitting on him until he consented, I am proud to say that I am now the owner of this remarkable book. It is particularly special to me as my maternal G-G-Grandfather was in the 11th Alabama along with Captain Moody and most certainly knew him. Thank you ucvrelics, and even after what my wife says about you ,you are not such a bad fellow after all.:wink:
Bring that book next time I see you, I'll bring plenty 92 proof Pepper whiskey and any other drink and joke it takes to get me a bargain.:D

Identify the guy who brought the book in and we should take up a collection for him. He didn't know what he had, but at least brought it to the right place.
I imagine that Richard was guilt ridden all the way to the bank, but being Pure of heart he is looking for his fairy godfather to give him a little something ($$$) extra; so if you are out there reading this, please contact Richard at his phone number BR-549. :bounce:

Back