The Pay of Confederate Soldiers

that regular troops in the Confederate Army
Note that there where very, very few "regular" troops in the confederate army.

The CSA did plan for a regular army, but they never actually got it organized, so the only men who where part of the Army of the Confederate States of America where the higher ranking officers

The wast majority of men was part of the Provisional Army of the Confederate States. That is the regiments organized by the the states, then turned over to CSA control.

This is similar to the US system. Where you had a regular army and then the volunteer force, that was organized by the states then turned over to federal control.

When the CS gov't disbanded how much back pay was owed to the army/navy? Any rough estimates out there.

Note that there where very, very few "regular" troops in the confederate army.

The CSA did plan for a regular army, but they never actually got it organized, so the only men who where part of the Army of the Confederate States of America where the higher ranking officers

The wast majority of men was part of the Provisional Army of the Confederate States. That is the regiments organized by the the states, then turned over to CSA control.

This is similar to the US system. Where you had a regular army and then the volunteer force, that was organized by the states then turned over to federal control.
Thank you fo clarifying my misunderstanding.

When the CS gov't disbanded how much back pay was owed to the army/navy? Any rough estimates out there.
None. After the Confederacy ceased to exist what would they pay their military with? The Confederate dollar was worthless and Uncle Sam wasn't going to make up the difference.
Leftyhunter

Reactions: GS
I was looking at the article and thought to myself didn't really matter within a year and a half the Confederate dollar was almost worthless. When a soldier is receiving $13 a month and a loaf of bread costs $300 what can you do.

Okay, since you want to use this to disparage Southern women, let me ask this question...... Why are prostitutes called "Hookers", they aren't called "Lees, or Jacksons".

They weren't named after General Hooker either. That is a popular myth. The term hooker predates the American Civil War.

hooker (n.)

"one who or that which hooks" in any sense, agent noun from hook (v.). Meaning "prostitute" (by 1845) often is traced to the disreputable morals of the Army of the Potomac (American Civil War) under the tenure of Gen. "Fighting Joe" Hooker (early 1863), and the word might have been popularized by this association at that time (though evidence is wanting). But it is reported to have been in use in North Carolina c. 1845 ("f he comes by way of Norfolk he will find any number of pretty Hookers in the Brick row not far from French's hotel. Take my advice and touch nothing in the shape of a prostitute when you come through Raleigh, for in honest truth the clap is there of luxuriant growth." letter quoted in Norman E. Eliason, "Tarheel Talk," 1956).

One early theory traces it to Corlear's Hook, a section of New York City.HOOKER. A resident of the Hook, i.e. a strumpet, a sailor's trull. So called from the number of houses of ill-fame frequented by sailors at the Hook (i.e. Corlear's Hook) in the city of New York. [John Russell Bartlett, "Dictionary of Americanisms," 1859]Or perhaps related to hooker "thief, pickpocket" (1560s). But the word is likely a reference to prostitutes hooking or snaring clients. Hook in the figurative sense of "that by which anyone is attracted or caught" is recorded from early 15c.; and hook (v.) in the figurative sense of "catch hold of and draw in" is attested from 1570s; in reference to "fishing" for a husband or a wife, it was in common use from c. 1800. All of which makes the modern sense seem a natural step. Compare French accrocheuse, raccrocheuse, common slang term for "street-walker, prostitute," literally "hooker" of men.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=hooker

From Chaplain Charles Holt Dobbs, 12th Mississippi (The Spirit Divided: Memoirs of Civil War Chaplains), just prior to the battle of Gettysburg: "Men came to me [to hold their valuables in case of death] ... soon I had in trust about 13,000 dollars in southern money. This, with the pocket-books, etc. filled a large haversack."

At what point along the pay chain did the problem of timely pay begin, at Treasury dept. or war dept.? Or was the problem in the army paymaster system?.

They weren't named after General Hooker either. That is a popular myth. The term hooker predates the American Civil War.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=hooker

Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Had you read the entire thread you would see that in post # 19 I wrote the following....

"The thread is about getting a Confederate paycheck. You managed to segue it into prostitution of Southern women. Yes, the term Hooker was in use prior to the war, and if I'm not mistaken, it was in reference of an area in a Northern City notorious for being a area of prostitution. The fact remains that the term Hooker is indelibly attached to General Hooker. I need not say more as to why".

At what point along the pay chain did the problem of timely pay begin, at Treasury dept. or war dept.? Or was the problem in the army paymaster system?.
The main problem was a lack of signed banknotes with which to pay the men. There are many references to businesses, individuals and quartermasters not being funded because of a lack of currency. Those businesses that would take bonds in payment were paid more often, but bonds were only good for large amounts, so even businesses would require some portion of their payments in currency so that they could pay small claims.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Had you read the entire thread you would see that in post # 19 I wrote the following....

"The thread is about getting a Confederate paycheck. You managed to segue it into prostitution of Southern women. Yes, the term Hooker was in use prior to the war, and if I'm not mistaken, it was in reference of an area in a Northern City notorious for being a area of prostitution. The fact remains that the term Hooker is indelibly attached to General Hooker. I need not say more as to why".

First, that's not a fact. It's speculation, as the text from etymology online points out. To repeat, "evidence is wanting."

Second, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, as even if Gen. Hooker was responsible in some way for the popularization of the term, most of the prostitutes keeping Union boys company would have been southern women. The men were primarily fighting in the South after all, not in Ohio, Michigan, or Vermont.

Back