The Path Less Taken?

mt155

First Sergeant
Annual Winner
I have been to several parks in recent years and love to walk every inch that one can. I have also gotten bitten by the shutterbug and lug my camera along with me. After viewing some books focusing on photos of various battlefield and monuments a question entered my mind. Just where can the average park visitor walk while enjoying the battlefield? I recognize some monuments from Gettysburg and know that to get the same shots one would have to walk "off the beaten path". For example can any visitor walk through the Wheat field where no path exists? While at Shiloh I felt that I could walk every where and any where, but more "popular" places like Gettysburg where they get more annual visitors I could see more stern regulations. Other than stay off private property what are the ground rules so to speak? Just wanting some input since I will be traveling to Gettysburg later this year and am trying to plan out the best time and places to take pictures.

I've walked all over the place in Getteysburg, off the path and on. I've never had problems with anybody. I say, if you see a spot you want to go, go there. The worst that can happen is a park ranger asks you to get back on the path. They aren't about to throw you out as long as it looks like your not getting in any mischief. One thing tho.. stay away at night! As tempting as it might be to get some great night shots or maybe go ghost hunting on the battlefileds, alot of the more famous ones will arrest you faster than you can blink if they see you on the field at night. They got night vision looking for grave smashers or relic hunters and they do use them! When my reenactment unit camped on the field, just behind the PA monumnet, they told us we couldn't leave the immediate area. We went for a walk, got about 100 yards out of our campsight and the rangers were on us shooing us back to the camp!

Thanks for the info. I've walked off the paths at Shiloh and Vicksburg and I wasn't looked down upon. I guess since the western battlefields are not as "civilized" , maybe a better word choice would be populated, I've felt more at ease walking where ever the mood took me. When I visited those parks it seemed as if my wife and I were the only ones in the park. The eastern parks we have been to have had many more visitors at a time and it just seems wrong to stray too far away from the herd. I'll be going to Gettysburg for the commemorative day parade and luminary display in the cemetery. I'll walk to where the photo op takes me and if I get hauled off, I'll say Dred told me it was OK! :laugh1:

I think "civilized" may be a good word for much of Tennessee. You are quite correct that the problems with visitors are less because of fewer numbers of folks. Our southern boys are simply nicer! They will also defend their turf however, so continue to be civil.

The Parks at both Pea Ridge and Wilson's Creek are both very visitor firendly. The Visitor's areeas and trails take you right into the battfield areas and the rangers are very helpfull.

There seem to be parts of every field where it is possible to leave the beaten track. Even in the East. At Antietam Creek, I walked about 20 or 30 yards into the middle of the cornfield. A passing ranger driving a tractor gave me a friendly wave, so it must be ok. At the Wilderness, a ranger was showing me the battle lines at the end of the first days fighting. We walked across some of the Confederate trenches. As he said 'Everybody else does so we might as well'. I think the key is to show respect to your surroundings and leave no trace of your visit. I would certainly not have walked across trenches without the rangers invite.

If you're walking through the majority of the battlefield areas in Nashville or Franklin be careful not to damage the homeowner's lawn or mar the drive-through window. (We're working on it.)

Franklin

Haven't been to Franklin, but looking at a satellite map of Franklin on google, it looks like they built a whole suburb over Hood's charge? Is there anything left there at all aside from names of streets?

Actually there is still much undeveloped land in parts of Hood's charge. A cemetery, industrial warehouse and a few scattered retail shops along Columbia Pike. Look at mapquet mapping from Battle Ave south to Mack Hatcher parkway is still fairly clear on the west side, but is being developed soon. The battle lines were closer to Strahl, Cleburne and Granbury streets shown on the map. There are a few scattered homes here and the county complex formerly known as battle ground academy. It is nearly a two mile walk from Winstead Hill where the AOT assembled to the battleline. Look for the Save the Franklin Battlefield website. Nashville is a different story. The battle areas were covered with domiciles long ago.

Big is a relative term, but from our perspective, yes. The Carter house museum (state supported) has a staff of five or six folks, and maybe two or three at a time at the Carnton mansion (part of the Franklin battlefield). Our (SCV) Winstead Hill draws folks as does the adjacent city park, but we don't man the hill. Ft. Grainger, the Union component to Franklin, has been part of a city park for about 30 years. Constant, though minimal, traffic there. The city of Nashville is currently building an interpretive building and visitor center at Ft. Negley. The Stones River National Park at nearby Murfreesboro gets reasonably constant traffic. All these facilities are within a roughly 25-mile triangle. Shy's Hill in Nashville, like Winstead Hill in Franklin, is un-staffed. The rest is 'marked' by historical commission markers at best. From my few years of observing these sites, I sense an increase in traffic, but not nearly as much as when the yanks invaded the first time. We now have our own yankees, thanks to the automotive plants in La Vergne and Spring Hill. Generally (no pun) speaking, most of them don't seem too excited about the Civil War.

CW:

In Middle Tennessee, East Tennessee, Northern Alabama is full of sites where small but important engagments took place. Today, I made a day trip from Indianapolis to Manchester, Tn. to take some photographs of a battle site that I 24 runs through. A small two day battle that engaged Col. Wilder's men and a division of A.P. Stewart's men.

More and more people visit this site each year. But this site needs some more informational markers placed arround. There are now three groups working on different markers. I truely beleave that if these sites are marked and more infomation about what happened at these sites, the more people will become intrested and start there own research.

Back