The Passing Of James B. White.

I'm fairly new to this website, finding it only over the summer, but during my brief time here I always enjoyed reading your husband's contributions. He was always a voice of reason and an excellent debater, and his intelligence shone through in his posts.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Best wishes to you and your family.

Last edited:
Thank you for letting us know Mrs. James B White. Few members of CivilWarTalk have had the comprehensive impact that James had. It pained us to hear that his health was failing, but we rejoiced with him when he announced that his book had been completed*.

As others have already mentioned, James was always willing to share his vast knowledge. He was a patient teacher, a scholar, a voice of reason, open-minded, ethical, and brave. His loss is mourned by the entire CivilWarTalk community.

Prayers for strength and peace for the family of James B White. RIP Hank.

*The book will be available March 10th but is available now for pre-order https://www.amazon.com/dp/0807165212/?tag=civilwartalkc-20

It is with great sadness that I'm passing on the news regarding the death of James B, White. He enjoyed studying the Civil War era and posting here.

Mrs. James B. White.
I am so sorry for your loss, his insight and knowledge were amazing, I am much more astute in many areas of the ACW period as a result of Hank's postings. He will be missed, God Bless.

I was often encouraged by the words from you husband. So, I am deeply sadden that those words are now silenced, but so grateful that I have many of his postings to re-read and contemplate. He has left a legacy in my heart. May your sadness find a cushion of comfort knowing that he was much beloved on this forum. I can only speculate about the conversations he is now having with those in heaven.

Rest in peace James/Hank.

Peace,
-Yulie

Last edited:
We share in your loss. James was a respected and well liked member of the forum. His passion for reenacting was clear in his post when he always seemed to have an insight that made us understand a different point of view. He had the uncanny knack for putting himself into these 19th century characters to greater understand and share a new perspective on these events. We are all saddened and offer our condolences. He will be missed.

I'm sincerely sorry to contribute twice, Mrs. Hank. These past weeks in the forum without your husband made me think very much of sermon Dad used, not a religious one, really. He was a Lutheran minister. Lost him in 2012. He said we're all threads in tapestries, woven in each other's lives, on a loom. It's always stuck with me, always. So much here, and so much I was able to learn was because James B. White took the time to post - once again, the aptness of Dad's analogy hit home.

I'm sincerely sorry to contribute twice, Mrs. Hank. These past weeks in the forum without your husband made me think very much of sermon Dad used, not a religious one, really. He was a Lutheran minister. Lost him in 2012. He said we're all threads in tapestries, woven in each other's lives, on a loom. It's always stuck with me, always. So much here, and so much I was able to learn was because James B. White took the time to post - once again, the aptness of Dad's analogy hit home.
Well said. Thanks for this.

I was thinking of Hank myself last night.

For those who might not have seen it, here's a picture he posted of himself in a thread in 2013:

Expired Image Removed
Me, a good southern fire-eater, telling some Yankee woman how ridiculous she looks in a Bloomer costume.

Great sense of humor, that guy.

Last edited:
Condolences to James B. White's family and friends. I enjoyed his social media humanity.

Rest in peace,
Bill

Simply HDR_1476740508074.jpg

Back