"The Parting Glass" A Song the Irish Soldiers Sang When They Had to Say Goodbye

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer

In Ireland there is a tradition of singing "parting songs" when an evening of conviviality is ending. These songs would also be sung by Irish immigrant soldiers at the end of a celebration. They are a reminder of the importance of friendship and a call to treasure memories of those we love, since life is mutable.

The Parting Glass is one of the most popular. It dates back to the 1600s and versions of it passed back and forth between Ireland and Scotland so many times that it can only be called a song of mixed origins. As Auld Land Syne became the premier parting song of Scotland before the Civil War, The Parting Glass has come to be identified with the Irish.

The version here is performed by Liam Clancy and Tommy Makem. While I would have dressed Liam differently, his voice holds up well through the whole song.

I was prompted to post this song tonight because word came an hour ago that the head of the Irish Studies Program at Hofstra passed away. Professor Greg Maney was my Irish brother who helped me think through some of my ideas on telling the stories of 19th Century immigrants for 21st Century audiences. I raise my parting glass to Greg. The song reminds me that the leaving of our friends brings us sorrow, but the memories of them are a lasting joy.

Ah, Pat: I have heard this song sang by soldiers in a bar before they shipped out.

Americans can never understand melancholy that Europeans, particularly the Irish embody, nurture, and hold close to their hearts. My nanny was Irish -- hence the accent she imparted on me -- and when she passed, I experienced such a strange, beautiful dichotomy of fondness and sadness. A loss, and a memory. Every tear accompanied by a smile.

I am sorry for your loss, Pat. May Greg's memory be for a blessing.

May the blessings of light be upon you,

Light without and light within.

And in all your comings and goings,

May you ever have a kindly greeting

From them you meet on the road.

Bee

Ah, Pat: I have heard this song sang by soldiers in a bar before they shipped out.

Americans can never understand melancholy that Europeans, particularly the Irish embody, nurture, and hold close to their hearts. My nanny was Irish -- hence the accent she imparted on me -- and when she passed, I experienced such a strange, beautiful dichotomy of fondness and sadness. A loss, and a memory. Every tear accompanied by a smile.

I am sorry for your loss, Pat. May Greg's memory be for a blessing.

May the blessings of light be upon you,

Light without and light within.

And in all your comings and goings,

May you ever have a kindly greeting

From them you meet on the road.

Bee
Thank you for your blessing.

Greg headed up programs working for civil rights on Long Island with the African American, Muslim, Latino and Shinecock communities, as well as with his own Irish community.

Oh, and he liked to embarrass me by speaking to me in Irish in front of our Latino friends and watching me turn red when they looked at me expecting me to reply in Irish, 'cause how could I not know the language of my ancestors. Brings a smile to my face.

Thank you for your blessing.

Greg headed up programs working for civil rights on Long Island with the African American, Muslim, Latino and Shinecock communities, as well as with his own Irish community.

Oh, and he liked to embarrass me by speaking to me in Irish in front of our Latino friends and watching me turn red when they looked at me expecting me to reply in Irish, 'cause how could I not know the language of my ancestors. Brings a smile to my face.

*Playing the Wailin' Jennys* I remember them from Prairie Home Companion

So Greg had a wicked sense of humour, did he. So much more to remember him by, and celebrate at his wake :smile:

The first time I heard "The Parting Glass" was at the end of the movie "Waking Ned Devine." Loved the movie, and the song so haunted me that I bought the movie soundtrack, and still play it to this day.

I've loved (and sung) that song, ever since the Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem concluded their concert in Boston Garden with it in 1959. I was 14 years old, and that concert was a birthday present from my great-uncle Pat Joyce! One of the Great Moments of my young life.

Back