The Other Rock of Chickamauga?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Bee

Captain
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017
Dave Powell has many fans here at CWT, and just as many of us are intrigued by the series of events that took place at Chickamauga. I was happy to come across his latest article on the topic!

The Other Rock of Chickamauga?
Posted on May 30, 2017 by Dave Powell

One of the joys of research is turning an unexpected corner to find out something new. That happens every so often, and when it does, I always get a little buzz of excitement. Most recently, that buzz came when I stumbled across the name William W. Burns in the official records.

Now, Brigadier General William Wallace Burns was not exactly completely unknown to me: I knew he was a brigade commander in the Army of the Potomac in 1862, serving in the Second Corps under generals Sedgwick and Sumner; and later, a divisional commander in the Ninth Corps during the Fredericksburg campaign. He distinguished himself as a first-rate leader and capable fighter in the Seven Days’ battles of Savage Station and Glendale. He took a severe face wound at Glendale, not returning to the army until the fall, when he was stepped up to divisional command.

But I was surprised to see him mentioned in a January 1863 dispatch sent by Union Major General William Starke Rosecrans to the War Department, inquiring about Burns’ availability for a command in the west. Burns was one of “several good officers” Rosecrans desired to have join his own command, the Army of the Cumberland. https://emergingcivilwar.com/2017/05/30/the-other-rock-of-chickamauga-2/

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!