The Other Half of the 1st Tennessee

OldReliable1862

First Sergeant
I've become interested in the Rock City Guards of Nashville in the 1st Tennessee. One half of the regiment was kept at Cumberland City by Kirby Smith while the other carried on, to join the army gathering at Corinth. This half of this regiment missed the battle, but I wanted to find out: did any members of these companies somehow take part in the battle?

Ole Miss

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
I apologize for my late response to your query but have been out of state at the Antietam Muster.
George Maney led 5 companies at Shiloh as part of his command of the 2nd Brigade in Cheatham's 2nd Division in Polk's Corps as you know. I do not know if you have read Maney's Official Report in Series 1, Volume X, Part 1 or not but have listed it below for others who are interested in the 1st Tennessee.*

Quote from Maney's Report:
"I marched to the field in command of five companies of my own regiment (First Tennessee), the other five having been detained at Chattanooga by order of superior officers.
On the 5th instant, while in front of the enemy, I was, by order of General A. S. Johnston, commanding, detached from the brigade of Brigadier-General Chalmers, with which I had temporarily served, and instructed to report, with my five companies present, to Major-General Polk for service, and was by him assigned to the Second Brigade, Second Division, of his corps.
This brigade was composed of the five companies of the First Tennessee, Colonel Stephens' (Sixth Tennessee), Colonel Douglass' (Ninth Tennessee), and Colonel Wickliffe's (Seventh Kentucky) regiments; and, as senior officer, I assumed command of it, Major-General Cheatham, as chief of division, being my immediate commanding officer."

I hope this little missive might be of assistance. If this is helpful, I would be glad to assist further if I might
Regards
David

*Pages 453-458
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=coo.31924077730160&view=1up&seq=472&skin=2021&q1=454

OldReliable1862

First Sergeant
I apologize for my late response to your query but have been out of state at the Antietam Muster.
George Maney led 5 companies at Shiloh as part of his command of the 2nd Brigade in Cheatham's 2nd Division in Polk's Corps as you know. I do not know if you have read Maney's Official Report in Series 1, Volume X, Part 1 or not but have listed it below for others who are interested in the 1st Tennessee.*

Quote from Maney's Report:
"I marched to the field in command of five companies of my own regiment (First Tennessee), the other five having been detained at Chattanooga by order of superior officers.
On the 5th instant, while in front of the enemy, I was, by order of General A. S. Johnston, commanding, detached from the brigade of Brigadier-General Chalmers, with which I had temporarily served, and instructed to report, with my five companies present, to Major-General Polk for service, and was by him assigned to the Second Brigade, Second Division, of his corps.
This brigade was composed of the five companies of the First Tennessee, Colonel Stephens' (Sixth Tennessee), Colonel Douglass' (Ninth Tennessee), and Colonel Wickliffe's (Seventh Kentucky) regiments; and, as senior officer, I assumed command of it, Major-General Cheatham, as chief of division, being my immediate commanding officer."

I hope this little missive might be of assistance. If this is helpful, I would be glad to assist further if I might
Regards
David

*Pages 453-458
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=coo.31924077730160&view=1up&seq=472&skin=2021&q1=454
Thank you David!
It seems that settles it - there couldn't have been any men from Companies A-E at Shiloh, unless a few somehow managed to in special circumstances.

I've become interested in the Rock City Guards of Nashville in the 1st Tennessee. One half of the regiment was kept at Cumberland City by Kirby Smith while the other carried on, to join the army gathering at Corinth. This half of this regiment missed the battle, but I wanted to find out: did any members of these companies somehow take part in the battle?
Don't know if this makes any difference with your question, there were actually two Confederate 1st Tennessee Infantry. One in the AOT and the other in the ANV.