The Other --Burg's. What is Your Favorite Non-Gettysburg "-Burg"?

UCVRelics

Brevet Brigadier General
Forum Host
Gold Patron
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Regtl. Quartermaster Stones River / Franklin 2022
I know that the Battle of Gettysburg was the most important battle of the CW and the majority of books that were written and post here at CWT pertain to it, but there many other battles that ended in "Burg" My favorite has to be Vicksburg due to my families history. Whats Your Favorite "BURG"

My favorite "Burg" is a place that many people have never heard of but to me it represents the dozens of other "Burgs" that suffered similar fates during the Civil War. It is Emmitsburg, Maryland which is about 15 miles South of it's famous neighbor Gettysburg. It saw during especially the runup to and the aftermath of the Battle of Gettysburg, both armies came through it helping themselves to whatever they needed, a portion of the town was burned, the population was divided as to loyalties, especially after the battle the town was home to casualties (it was also the home to the Sister's of Charity Order), it lost it's citizens to the war and it was called upon to support the war effort in any way needed. Emmitsburg represents to me the fact that while no battles took place there, it still felt the pain of war.
Redbob online there is a list of all men involved in all major conflicts including the civil war both northern and southern from Emmitsburg I believe if you type in emmitsburg Confederate honor roll you will find it many families where divided some of the confederates where descendants of Francis Scott key I've always been interested in the town it is very close to Pennsylvania but still supplied the Confederate ranks with some 32 soldiers while the closest town to it and further south Taneytown supplied only 2

Vote Here:
Redbob online there is a list of all men involved in all major conflicts including the civil war both northern and southern from Emmitsburg I believe if you type in emmitsburg Confederate honor roll you will find it many families where divided some of the confederates where descendants of Francis Scott key I've always been interested in the town it is very close to Pennsylvania but still supplied the Confederate ranks with some 32 soldiers while the closest town to it and further south Taneytown supplied only 2
I was privileged to have attended the National Fire Academy in Emmitsburg on a number of occasions and I found the town to be warm, welcoming and a very interesting place to spend time in.

Vote Here:
I know that the Battle of Gettysburg was the most important battle of the CW and the majority of books that were written and post here at CWT pertain to it, but there many other battles that ended in "Burg" My favorite has to be Vicksburg due to my families history. Whats Your Favorite "BURG"
I'm with you. I vote for Vicksburg.
It had it ALL...Navy battles with many varieties of warships including the new city class ironclads and tinclads;
Land battles; A siege; A war against civilian population; it literally had it all.

Vote Here:
What an awesome question? “What’s your Favorite?”
To answer that question is going to be hard because there were so many great and some very small battles. From the start with the First Shot at Fort Sumter to the last battle to the surrender at Appomattox, Va.
and all those others battles that from other states that we haven’t heard of. The study of the American Civil War is a life time adventure..

Vote Here:
As a visitor, Fredericksburg gives you four large battles and several smaller ones all within a few miles. A nearly limitless menu of death.

As a bonus, a visit to Fredericksburg also gives you the option to tour a bunch of historical sites related to George Washington. When I visited the Confederate cemetery in Fredericksburg, I also had the option to walk past Washington's sister's house and also his mother's house.

Vote Here:
While not my favorite, let us not forget Chambersburg.

I have a nostalgic spot in my heart for Chambersburg. I spent my early childhood in Central PA and my grandparents lived in the Pittsburgh area. My parents didn't have extra room in their budget to pay for PA Turnpike tolls, so we took Route 30 across Central and Western PA when we traveled to visit family. So, we drove through Chambersburg on every trip to Western PA.

Vote Here:

For all the attention it gets (getts?) Gettysburg didn't change anything. The armies ended up back where they had started, just like after Sharpsburg or Fredericksburg, and the stalemate in the east went on. The Confederates even felt comfortable enough to send part of the ANV to help Bragg at Chickamauga.

If the rebs had won at Gettysburg, then it might be a contender for most important battle!

Vote Here:
For all the attention it gets (getts?) Gettysburg didn't change anything. The armies ended up back where they had started, just like after Sharpsburg or Fredericksburg, and the stalemate in the east went on. The Confederates even felt comfortable enough to send part of the ANV to help Bragg at Chickamauga.

If the rebs had won at Gettysburg, then it might be a contender for most important battle!
Could have said it better

Vote Here:
Fredericksburg was the first battle that captivated me. Those poor soldiers who died on Marye's Heights. The gallant fight by Barksdale to delay the bridge builders.

Vicksburg was more important. Lincoln found his general.

Vote Here:
Back