The Other --Burg's. What is Your Favorite Non-Gettysburg "-Burg"?

UCVRelics

Brevet Brigadier General
Forum Host
Gold Patron
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Regtl. Quartermaster Stones River / Franklin 2022
I know that the Battle of Gettysburg was the most important battle of the CW and the majority of books that were written and post here at CWT pertain to it, but there many other battles that ended in "Burg" My favorite has to be Vicksburg due to my families history. Whats Your Favorite "BURG"

My favorite "Burg" is a place that many people have never heard of but to me it represents the dozens of other "Burgs" that suffered similar fates during the Civil War. It is Emmitsburg, Maryland which is about 15 miles South of it's famous neighbor Gettysburg. It saw during especially the runup to and the aftermath of the Battle of Gettysburg, both armies came through it helping themselves to whatever they needed, a portion of the town was burned, the population was divided as to loyalties, especially after the battle the town was home to casualties (it was also the home to the Sister's of Charity Order), it lost it's citizens to the war and it was called upon to support the war effort in any way needed. Emmitsburg represents to me the fact that while no battles took place there, it still felt the pain of war.

Vote Here:
While not my favorite, let us not forget Chambersburg.

cc313504faa0c1c16b972b2cded34cba--wilson-college-lehigh-valley.jpg

Vote Here:
Lynchburg, Virginia is rich in Civil War history.

Unidentified-soldier-in-Confederate-uniform-of-Company-E-Lynchburg-Rifles-in-frame_thumb.jpg

Unidentified soldier in Confederate uniform of Company E, “Lynchburg Rifles,” 11th Virginia Infantry Volunteers holding 1841 “Mississippi” rifle, Sheffield-type Bowie knife, canteen, box knapsack, blanket roll, and cartridge box

Vote Here:
While there was no battle fought here, good old Dillsburg, Pennsylvania was paid a visit by Jenkins' cavalry on June 28, 1863 and then by Stuart's cavalry three days later.

Stuart's men are reported to have relieved the postmaster of his jacket, presumably because he was the only figure of Federal authority to be found in the town.

While no shots were fired at Dillsburg during the Confederates' pass-through, legend has it that there was one casualty.

Supposedly, a young boy was sitting atop a fence when he suddenly saw some Confederate cavalrymen approaching. Frightened at the appearance of what he had no doubt been told were devils incarnate, he jumped down off the fence, but landed awkwardly and hurt his leg.

So one of the cavalrymen stopped, picked him up, put him on his horse, asked him where he lived, and took him home so that his mother could tend to his leg. :thumbsup:

Vote Here:
I know that the Battle of Gettysburg was the most important battle of the CW and the majority of books that were written and post here at CWT pertain to it, but there many other battles that ended in "Burg" My favorite has to be Vicksburg due to my families history. Whats Your Favorite "BURG"
Fredericksburg, hands down. Chancellorsville, Wilderness and Spotsylvania are all within a half hour drive of the Fredericksburg visitor center. And Brandy Station and Manassas are both about 45 miles away. In addition, the town of Fredericksburg and its environs offers a lot of other things to see and do. The town itself has many structures still standing that date back to colonial/revolutionary times. Chatham mansion is just across the river. There are taverns and restaurants of high quality in Fredericksburg. The Rapidan and Rappahannock fords are all short drives from Fredericksburg.

Vote Here:
Fredericksburg, hands down. Chancellorsville, Wilderness and Spotsylvania are all within a half hour drive of the Fredericksburg visitor center. And Brandy Station and Manassas are both about 45 miles away. In addition, the town of Fredericksburg and its environs offers a lot of other things to see and do. The town itself has many structures still standing that date back to colonial/revolutionary times. Chatham mansion is just across the river. There are taverns and restaurants of high quality in Fredericksburg. The Rapidan and Rappahannock fords are all short drives from Fredericksburg.

I love Fredericksburg! I'vebeen looking at possibly moving there in the near future.

Vote Here:
Back