The operators of the Gettysburg Electric Map (at Hanover) are soldiering on!

LoyaltyOfDogs

Sergeant Major
Official Vendor
It's been a while since I checked on the Gettysburg Electric Map's status since its move to Hanover and restoration, so I was pleased to see the following announcement posted this week on the map's Facebook page. I'd enjoy seeing it again. I still have a vivid image of the "fishhook line" outlined in lights along the map, and though it's been many years since I saw it, that's often the image that comes to mind whenever I hear those words.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a massive map. I didn't know it was even there.

I remember well being fascinated by the map as an 11 year old on my first trip to Gettysburg with my parents. The detail of the landscape, the troop movement and the historical value stayed with me since that trip 60 years ago. It’s one of those childhood memories one never forgets!

It was a slower time back then! I saw in in 1963, as a 12 year old, and it was one of the events that made me a lifelong civil war buff (plus my mother getting me the book by Fletcher Pratt, "Civil War in Pictures", when I was about 8!).

I've said it several times before, I really miss the old Gettysburg Visitor's Center, also a throw-back to a slower, simpler time.

It was a slower time back then! I saw in in 1963, as a 12 year old, and it was one of the events that made me a lifelong civil war buff (plus my mother getting me the book by Fletcher Pratt, "Civil War in Pictures", when I was about 8!).

I've said it several times before, I really miss the old Gettysburg Visitor's Center, also a throw-back to a slower, simpler time.
So right you are.

For anyone planning a visit to the Gettysburg area, here's the latest info on showings of the Electric Map, from the map's operators. The best way to arrange your visit to the map, now located in nearby Hanover, is through the contacts on its Facebook page at the link above. Scheduled showings that you can join are announced there, and additional viewings can be arranged for groups of six or more. Here are a couple of views from the page.

It's been many years since I saw the map, so I no longer recall the significance of the black and green lights, but I'll bet one of CivilWarTalk's Gettysburg-expert members will remember!

_nc_ohc=VeOp2ej8PU0AX-CC-Ol&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.jpg
Ix5Rgj1W968Mw4LipCb0-6azuxk&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.jpg

I saw the electric map presentation several times over the years before it was removed. I enjoyed it every time I saw it and I believe its an excellent way for a person just getting started with their Gettysburg interest to learn the basics of what went on there in July, 1863.

I am very glad to see that its still around.

John

I saw the map presentation in Hanover last year. I can highly recommend it if you have fond memories of it. It is quite a story of what happened to it after it left Gettysburg and the tribulations involved in getting it on display again. Plus, after you watch the original light show and narration, they give you plenty of time to examine it up close and from all angles. It was quite interesting.

Wow, I didn't know that anyone preserved it. I remember seeing it as a grade schooler in the visitors center. I thought it had been lost forever. Thanks for sharing.
You're very welcome! I still have such a vivid image in my mind from viewing it many years ago that whenever I hear the words "fishhook line," I picture it first in the lights of the Electric Map.

Back