Longstreet The only relic of the Confederacy

Stiles/Akin

Sergeant Major
REUNION IN ATLANTA, 1898. Longstreet was asked to attend and wear his old uniform, but that was burned up in the fire that destroyed his home. He agreed to attend with just his old trunk of a body, which he called "the only relic of the Confederacy" remaining to him. But his Augusta veterans had a new uniform made for him which he wore proudly as he was mobbed by his men. He was the star of the reunion.
74531973_10157630500831838_3291183303771553792_o.jpg

This is interesting for me, as when in high school I read the famous, (infamous?) novel The Killer Angels and in the back when having a postscript for everyone, I remember it mentioning a reunion where Longstreet was so put off by not being invited, (I think we all know why), and him showing up in his full Confederate uniform un-invited and Jefferson Davis embracing him in a tearful reunion.

Ever since then, and learning the outright historical wrongs in the series I've wondered if it was true, but have never looked into it. Now if this 1898 reunion is the one mentioned and was embellished, I won't be surprised.

It was a wonderful gesture towards Longstreet I will add.

Back