The Old Southern Tea Room, Vicksburg, Mississippi

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Image (11).jpg

While going through mementoes from vacation trips made through Vicksburg, Mississippi for a recent thread, I remembered this interesting cookbook from 1960. The Old Southern Tea Room was nationally famous and featured in various travel-related publications and news stories:

Image (15)A.jpg

A romanticized version of its creation appeared in the little cookbook:

Image (12).jpgImage (13).jpg

Here's a look at the inside of the little building in which it was first housed; later it removed to the lobby of a nice downtown hotel, but upon the death of Mary McKay it gradually fell into drab ordinariness and although retaining the name, revised the menu and thereby losing any claim it might have still had to any kind of distinction. The hotel eventually went out-of-business and last time I looked seemed to be some kind of subsidized housing for the indigent.

Image (20).jpg

THE OLD SOUTHERN TEA ROOM, 1201 Monroe Street... "Deep South Cooking At Its Best." This quaint Tea Room, in the heart of the "Deep South," carries on the tradition of delicious Southern cooking and gracious hospitality. With its colored waitresses, in bright "Mammy" costumes, serving steaming Shrimp Gumbo, crisp Fried Chicken, and Hot Biscuits, it is a mecca for travelers wanting old-fashioned southern cooking served in an atmosphere of picturesque charm. 2 blocks east and one block south of downtown. Recommended by Duncan Hines "Adventures in Good Eating," Gourmet's Guide and AAA.

Here's one of their signature dishes, the one I miss and also the one I ordered on my first and later visits:

Image (14).jpg

If anyone would like to see more, let me know and I will copy additional pages!

View attachment 313467

While going through mementoes from vacation trips made through Vicksburg, Mississippi for a recent thread, I remembered this interesting cookbook from 1960. The Old Southern Tea Room was nationally famous and featured in various travel-related publications and news stories:

View attachment 313472

A romanticized version of its creation appeared in the little cookbook:

View attachment 313469View attachment 313470

Here's a look at the inside of the little building in which it was first housed; later it removed to the lobby of a nice downtown hotel, but upon the death of Mary McKay it gradually fell into drab ordinariness and although retaining the name, revised the menu and thereby losing any claim it might have still had to any kind of distinction. The hotel eventually went out-of-business and last time I looked seemed to be some kind of subsidized housing for the indigent.

View attachment 313474

THE OLD SOUTHERN TEA ROOM, 1201 Monroe Street... "Deep South Cooking At Its Best." This quaint Tea Room, in the heart of the "Deep South," carries on the tradition of delicious Southern cooking and gracious hospitality. With its colored waitresses, in bright "Mammy" costumes, serving steaming Shrimp Gumbo, crisp Fried Chicken, and Hot Biscuits, it is a mecca for travelers wanting old-fashioned southern cooking served in an atmosphere of picturesque charm. 2 blocks east and one block south of downtown. Recommended by Duncan Hines "Adventures in Good Eating," Gourmet's Guide and AAA.

Here's one of their signature dishes, the one I miss and also the one I ordered on my first and later visits:

View attachment 313471

If anyone would like to see more, let me know and I will copy additional pages!
A reprint is available from Amazon.

It was one of my Grand MaMa's and Great Aunt Louis's favorite place. My Grandfather said it was because they could get a Mint Julip or Pink Squirrel. Wish I could remember what hotel it was in.

My Grand MaMa loved them as well as Velvet Hammers. When she fell and broke her hip I rushed to the hospital and when she came to after surgery I asked her if I could get her anything, She looked at me and said Richard would you get me a Pink Squirrel. I went straight to the house and made her a thermos full. After all I was the Golden Child:D sort of

The Pink Squirrel is a half milkshake, half amaretto-scented wonder drink. Made with vanilla ice cream, crème de cacao, and ruby red Crème de Noyaux, it mixes up quick into a sweet and creamy sipper.

My Grand MaMa loved them as well as Velvet Hammers. When she fell and broke her hip I rushed to the hospital and when she came to after surgery I asked her if I could get her anything, She looked at me and said Richard would you get me a Pink Squirrel. I went straight to the house and made her a thermos full. After all I was the Golden Child:D sort of

The Pink Squirrel is a half milkshake, half amaretto-scented wonder drink. Made with vanilla ice cream, crème de cacao, and ruby red Crème de Noyaux, it mixes up quick into a sweet and creamy sipper.
Golden Child...you should have been a bartender.:bounce:

What a great post James N. ! Places like this one, restaurants that serve real traditional Southern food, are becoming hard to find. In my neck of the woods the most popular "Southern" restaurants advertise serving new Southern cuisine. In other words, they change the classics so much they aren't Southern any more.
Of course most places like this died from too much of what an old reenacting friend of mine called "the Scottish restaurant." (McD in case you can't figure it out!) Real local places not part of some chain or other can be extremely hard to find anywhere.

Of course most places like this died from too much of what an old reenacting friend of mine called "the Scottish restaurant." (McD in case you can't figure it out!) Real local places not part of some chain or other can be extremely hard to find anywhere.
Find out where the local firefighters eat...it has worked wonders for me when I use to travel a great deal.

That's so true! We always try to seek out local restaurants when we travel. That's where you often find the best food and atmosphere. Sadly, those places are becoming hard to find.

James N. You intrigued me enough with this that I bought a used copy from Amazon just now. I would love to order a serving of the ham at a restaurant - I can't see myself making it though! But the few reviews mentioned the dessert recipes and corn pudding and I love that so I got hooked! We'll see what this northern gal can attempt!

Back