AL The old Live Oak Cemetery, Selma, Alabama

farrargirl

First Sergeant
Baldwin County, on the Alabama Gulf Coast
Had a little hiccup in my lower back, so haven’t been out much lately, but ran across some old photos I took about 5 or 6 years ago of the historical Live Oak Cemetery in Selma. I think I read where Pres. Davis lawn chair had been returned...? Here are a few I took with no idea if the Bedford Bust could possibly still be there now..

621C66F4-9824-4CA0-A6E5-AE7060AB7AD6.jpeg

BDC5E9D8-6E43-4658-9A19-BFB4BBC348E5.jpeg

34F59735-DD08-4146-977D-6E85B8EDEE4A.jpeg

17BBF2AC-8B1C-4D73-B20C-F485EA2B5CD1.jpeg

95916FAE-466C-4CFC-BAB0-798F5A271D14.jpeg

and a nice one of Gen Hardee, which I did not take but re-edited from F.A.G.
C512F3E4-2423-4F25-AECE-EEF9EC13DBB6.jpeg

The ancient live oaks, spanish moss, and giant magnolia trees make this old landscaped cemetery at the end of a back street, a stark contrast to other parts of the area.
Here is an interesting monument to Rev. Small. He was well-known minister , originally from South Carolina, who was killed in the Battle of Selma. (Again, a FAG pic, with my re-edits and description).
190DA8D7-C1F7-493E-B425-B3B3D1339EA7.jpeg

At near-by Ebenezer Church, there was a small monument erected by the local U.D.C. honoring the fallen soldiers of the
17th Indiana. I believe more recently, two camps ( SCV and SUVCW ) collaborated to erect this beautiful plaque on the right.
On left, is the unfortunate Captain who had the misadventure with Gen. Forest:

9455D933-4147-4EB5-BD2D-478F573A68C8.jpeg

Lastly, as I was looking through the burials there on Find A Grave, I found one for Capt. William A. Dunklin. Included was a quote from, I believe, the book “Inside The Army Of The Potomac, Letters from Capt. Francis Donaldson”. Below is the family monument in Selma of William and his wife, and apparently two of their children, who died young. The final one is a photo of Capt. Donaldson
( edited from FAG ), along with the above referenced excerpt from his letters.
EBBF8173-4FDD-46EB-B570-7FC4E42D9D74.jpeg

B8BCC200-E765-40C3-A199-1D22F46C09D8.jpeg

There is no doubt this officer could teach us many things today with regard to empathy and respect for those whose beliefs differ from our own......

Great Photos. Forrest is still there from being replaced in 2015.

Very interesting post, Thanks for the pictures and information.
Have known these locations since childhood. Several generations of mother's family in Old Live Oak.
When Selma had CW reenactments my unit, Co.D.7th Tenn Cavalry, would ride in formation so that I could put a flag on my g-great uncle's grave.

Very interesting post, Thanks for the pictures and information.
Have known these locations since childhood. Several generations of mother's family in Old Live Oak.
When Selma had CW reenactments my unit, Co.D.7th Tenn Cavalry, would ride in formation so that I could put a flag on my g-great uncle's grave.
Thanks much. I, too, have folks buried at Live Oak, the Burns family. So glad the cemetery has been so well cared for...

At the Ebenezer Church Battlefield, the gentleman who was giving us a tour was asked where the fight between Forrest and Captain Taylor took place and he pointed to a nearby house and said: about where their living room is. Whether it is true or not, it is an interesting thought that Forrest may have killed his last man in what is now someone's living room.

Back