The New Market Battlefield

* Bump for Anniversary *

The Battle of New Market, Virginia was fought on this day in 1864. This battle was part of the Valley Campaigns in the American Civil War. A makeshift Confederate army of 4,100 men, which included cadets from the Virginia Military Institute (VMI), fought Federal Major General Franz Sigel and his army out of the Shenandoah Valley. This battlefield is known as the "Field of Lost Shoes." Virginia Military Institute Cadets lost their shoes in the mud during this rainy and bloody conflict.

Thanks!

I really enjoy Bruce's web site www.civilwaralbum.com.

Our trip.....

* Winchester
* Kernstown
* Front Royal
* Cedar Creek
* Hupp's Hill
* Fisher's Hill
* Tom's Brook
* Rude's Hill
* New Market
* Harrisonburg
* Cross Keys
* Port Royal
* Piedmont
* Fort Johnson
* McDowell
I'm from front royal, volunteer at cedar creek, and I'm reenacting new market this weekend!

Another great tour Bill. I am surprised you did not show a photo of the Missouri marker to the Missourians who served so far east. Part of the 62nd Va. Captain Woodson's "Exiled Missourians" who fought so far east. Thanks for the great battlefield tour Bill.

Do not be surprised!!!

DSC_0568.JPG

DSC_0569.JPG

DSC_0570.JPG

In my earlier reply, I said I was planning to move to New Market. Didn't quite get there..........but I'm real close. If you notice the photo of the cannon you will see a mountain in the background. We literally live almost half way up it. They cancelled the reenactment for it this weekend, I was registered for it. :frown:

Thanks for sharing this awesome article. Have been by the New Market a number of time but always had no time to stop. May be this year on our way back home from our CWT Muster @ Antietam we can stop Hopefully.

Beautiful photos Bill. My family and I have been there several times over the years. In 1982 we visited the New Market Battlefield Park for the first time and visited the Bushong house where we had a picnic on a table not far from the house. Beautiful setting with the Blue Ridge Mountains in view.

In my earlier reply, I said I was planning to move to New Market. Didn't quite get there..........but I'm real close. If you notice the photo of the cannon you will see a mountain in the background. We literally live almost half way up it. They cancelled the reenactment for it this weekend, I was registered for it. :frown:
New Market is a lovely place to both visit and/or live near. Back 24 years ago my then new girlfriend rode with me from about 30 miles east of Richmond for the weekend and we did New Market and Luray Taverns. She hates car travel and isn't really interested in the ACW.
At the time I thought she either really likes me or really wants a husband. Long story short we married and are still together.

The New Market Battlefield State Historical Park (Virginia Museum of the Civil War)

View attachment 49875

Virginia Museum of the Civil War Interior

View attachment 49876

"Virginia Military Institute Cadets at the Battle of New Market" painting by Don Prechtel

View attachment 49877

Virginia State Markers (Shenandoah Valley Circle Tour)

View attachment 49878

The Bushong Farm at New Market, Virginia

View attachment 49879

The Bushong Home (Jacob Bushong built this house in 1825)

View attachment 49880

The Bushong House Basement (Bushong family took refuge during this battle in this stone cellar)

View attachment 49881

The Field of Lost Shoes (Confederate army looking north towards the Union army)

View attachment 49883

The von Kleiser's 30th New York Battery

View attachment 49885

The Virginia State Monument "The Battle of New Market"

View attachment 49886

The New Market Battlefield (Visitor Center in Background)

View attachment 49888

The 54th Pennsylvania Monument off US 11

View attachment 49890

* Photos courtesy of William Bechmann (2014)
My wife and I got to got there a couple of years ago. Saw that the Bushong's kept their cow in the basement to protect her.

There are only two monuments at the battlefield. The first one is the Missouri Cavalry one that is pictured here, the second is to the 54th Pa which is kind of off the beaten path.

I posted this monument in the opening post (12th Photo).

Bill

Back