The Negro President

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
A

aphillbilly

Neil,
I am not at my best right now. I read part but not all of the essay. I bookmarked it and will read it later as it looks quite intriguing.

That said, my first impression is there was political mud slinging at Jefferson re Sally Hemmings. Although the author makes excellent points to the contrary.

Ok I just tried to contribute more in depth and had to erase it all because I forgot what I was saying lol.....

On that sad note I will try to make a mental note to read it later and hopefully will have something reasonably cognizant to say.

Sorry
YMOS
tommy

Ok I just finished reading it. He had me until the last 5-6 paragraphs. Then it appeared he lost or changed his focus. I found the conspiracy accusations interesting. I guess though I just see it as the framers of the Constitution did it then afterwords did nothing but attack it.

It is obvious to me they put in the slavery clauses in order to get the south to join the Union. After the South joined they wanted to restructure the original contract....that make sense?

(Message edited by aphillbilly on November 26, 2003)

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Tommy,

"They" put in the slavery clauses? In order to get the south to join the Union? Got it a little backwards, don't you Tommy?

The way I read it, the South was the "they" and "they" insisted that those clauses be placed in the Constitution, i.e., the three fifths clause.

Doen't it bother you that the Presidential race of 1800 was won only because Jefferson could get those electorial college votes represented by the black slaves who couldn't vote? Or how about the confirmation of 'slave power' protecting its interests by warping the democratic process by the appointment of federal judges, etc.?

Get back to me when you are rested on this one. This seems to lay a LOT of the groundwork for the Civil War to me.

Unionblue

A

aphillbilly

Neil,

“A bargain had been struck at the Constitutional Convention—one of the famous compromises on which the document was formed, this one intended to secure ratification in the South.”

I was responding to this statement. Which does reflect the agreement that was made and why. To insure the South to join the Union. Then once the agreement was struck they immediately started wanting to renege on it.

I am not making judgement on slavery. But a deal is a deal. Remember Webster made the comments regarding that if the contract was broken by the North the contract would be null and void.

Honestly. Not sure how much of this actually makes sense. I am like an old punch drunk boxer. Fighting on instinct alone. lol Well I can attempt to take comfort in remembering Jack Dempsey. He was 70 or 80 years old. He was getting out of a car in front of his restaurant when two young men tried to rob him at knife point. Mere seconds later both youths were unconscious and ready for the hospital. Can you imagine the loss of street cred of those two robbers? Errrrr I do believe I got off on a tangent....just a bit lol. But I respond to the need to answer the bell.

YMOS
tommy

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Tommy,

Go to your corner, its between rounds. I am hoping to get the book, 'The Negro President', as a Christmas present, along with the one "The Men Who Made America', by Gore VIdal. There's another one that looks very interesting too, about Washington's first Christmas, where ol' George turned down the idea of being a King and what he had to do to get home for Christmas.

Talk at you soon,
Unionblue

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!