The National Civil War Naval Museum

Has anyone visited the National Civil War Naval Museum? Is this something I should visit if I go to Columbus Ga?

I visited it when it was still the Confederate Naval Museum. I've wanted to go back for years, but it's in one of those places that's not really on my way to anywhere else. :frown:

But if you're in the area, you need to go there. If for no other reason than it's one of only two places where you can see the hull of an honest-to-gosh Confederate ironclad. :thumbsup:

(The Infantry Museum at nearby Fort Benning may also be worth a look.)

It is well worth the stop as is the Infantry and Armor (if it is open) Museums at Fort Benning.

Has anyone visited the National Civil War Naval Museum? Is this something I should visit if I go to Columbus Ga?
I was there in June. Can't imagine going to Columbus and not going to the Museum. I would also recommend Linwood Cemetery in Columbus.

The Company of Military Historians will likely have a couple of hour long lectures about naval operations and then do a two to three hour tour of the National Civil War Naval Museum. So if I attend the convention I could do the lecture and tour.

However, we usually have two lectures going on at the same time and one must choose which lecture to attend. Sleeping in and skipping lectures is also a pleasant option. If my wife attends with me, would not skipping the three hour tour of the naval museum and taking her out to a nice lunch be a kind gesture?

Still, Columbus Ga. Is a bit of a drive and Columbus is kind of out of the way. If I do go it would probably be a two day drive each way, well a day and a half so I could stop and see something on the way down and the way back.

Being retired, I guess I could spend nine days doing the convention but it would be a long time away from home.

It is well worth the stop as is the Infantry and Armor (if it is open) Museums at Fort Benning.

That "I" word brings back memories. When I graduated from OCS the Infantry battalion in the Michigan National Guard wanted me as an infantry lieutenant and put in a request that I be assigned as such. Well "Infantry " sounded like it might involve "work" so I was in a panic. My old platoon leader was battalion commander of an MP battalion and he pulling in a favor and I was appointed as a Military Police lieutenant.

That "I" word brings back memories. When I graduated from OCS the Infantry battalion in the Michigan National Guard wanted me as an infantry lieutenant and put in a request that I be assigned as such. Well "Infantry " sounded like it might involve "work" so I was in a panic. My old platoon leader was battalion commander of an MP battalion and he pulling in a favor and I was appointed as a Military Police lieutenant.
I believe that the MP Museum would be located at Fort-Lost-In-The-Woods, Missouri.

I visited it when it was still the Confederate Naval Museum. I've wanted to go back for years, but it's in one of those places that's not really on my way to anywhere else. :frown:

But if you're in the area, you need to go there. If for no other reason than it's one of only two places where you can see the hull of an honest-to-gosh Confederate ironclad. :thumbsup:

I'd love to visit the Infantry Museum at Fort Benning. I'd be willing to give a talk there.

Haven't been to a CMH convention in years. Now that I'm retired, my funds are more limited. I am going to Bowling Green, KY for the NMLRA rifle building workshop and Friendship, IN for the national shoots.

I have another thread on the town, but have no older threads on Columbus Ga. That I remember.

Well that's one way to make yourself unpopular quickly. My father became a "Redcap"corporal at the infamous "glasshouse", Colchester Military Prison in 1946 - straight back from Burma.

That honest-to-gosh Confederate ironclad hull would be the CSS Neuse in Kinston, North Carolina. Plus, nearby, you can see the full-scale model of this ironclad.

RoadDog

Back