The National Aviary in Pittsburgh

I saw that CWT had this prior thread about the National Aviary in Pittsburgh. That thread is now locked, which is why I started this one.

I visited the aviary last summer. My sister and I have special memories there because we took our mother there just before she got really sick.

The aviary is a very nice facility. Local folklore says that the ghosts of the former prisoners remain there, but that these ghosts enjoy the birds. If I were a ghost, I would enjoy this place.

mom-and-liz-aviary-150x113 (1).jpg

untitled shoot-028-3.jpg

Easy to get to, especially with GPS. It is just north of both Heinz Field and PNC Park on Pittsburgh's north side. The Andy Warhol museum is nearby. The incline is a must do while in Pittsburgh. The Carnegie Museum in Oakland is really great. The Pittsburgh Zoo is nice as well. Lots to do in he city. A couple hours east sits Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater and the Flight 93 memorial. A couple hours east of the flight 93 Memorial is Gettysburg.

My biggest frustration was finding a parking spot. However, my directions to the aviary parking lot included a street that was closed due to road / bridge construction, and the GPS system in my mom's car frustrated me. So, we gave up on finding the aviary parking lot, and found on-street parking lot instead. It wasn't terrible, but we went there on a weekday. I have no idea what parking is like on a weekend.

Also, a Pirate game was just either starting or ending when we left the aviary, and we accidentally drove past PNC Park (the baseball stadium). I think that we could have gotten back onto Route 28 without passing PNC Park, but we missed a turn somewhere.

We needed to take Route 28 to get back to my house anyway, so we took Route 28 to the Waterworks Mall to get dinner.

Back