What Was the Most Terrifying Death in the War?

Lubliner

Major
Forum Host
Whether atrocities of fearful tragedy and revenge or plain facing the rebel charge, which death do you determine to be the most terror stricken moment?
Keeping with the era of our discussion and topic, as a hint to E. A. Poe who once wrote The Pit and the Pendulum, I prefer one at a time. Mine is;

"There were reports taken upon the field after the First Bull Run when wounded soldiers lay upon the ground that spoke of wild hogs feeding upon the living before they were dead."

Lubliner.

Whether atrocities of fearful tragedy and revenge or plain facing the rebel charge, which death do you determine to be the most terror stricken moment?
Keeping with the era of our discussion and topic, as a hint to E. A. Poe who once wrote The Pit and the Pendulum, I prefer one at a time. Mine is;

"There were reports taken upon the field after the First Bull Run when wounded soldiers lay upon the ground that spoke of wild hogs feeding upon the living before they were dead."

Lubliner.
Burning to death due to fire started during battle. Seeing the flames coming towards you and not being able to retreat or have a weapon to end your misery.

Vote Here:
Who was it, Gordon, who said he'd have drowned in his own blood if his hat didn't have bullet holes? That would not be pleasant. But I can imagine just about receiving any major wound and the doctor telling you "There's nothing else I can do for you , Son" would play on your mind while you're conscious.

Last edited:
Vote Here:
Well, I’ve got a fairly horrid way to go. Here’s one of my folks, who was shot in the 22 July Battle of Alabama.
His brother was shot with him in the bowels and lived six hours. John lived a week.
89FF1D28-F961-4D4D-8797-00492ADB7997.jpeg

I guess maybe amputation would be a moot point...

Vote Here:
Well, I’ve got a fairly horrid way to go. Here’s one of my folks, who was shot in the 22 July Battle of Alabama.
His brother was shot with him in the bowels and lived six hours. John lived a week.
View attachment 379189
I guess maybe amputation would be a moot point...
This gives me cause to remember both Jeb Stuart being shot in the kidney area and Stonewall trying to cope with his week of deterioration. Not only these men but many that were knowledgeable of approaching death were heroic in how they faced it.
Lubliner.

Vote Here:

Lubliner.
At Vicksburg a man was killed by a 220 lb. 13 inch mortar shell which struck him squarely from above and drove his head, torso and legs deeply into the ground. His hands and maybe feet were all that was left on the surface.
Terrifying to everyone else, including us, but he probably "never knew what hit him," unless he looked up.

I may be wrong about the source, but I believe that he was a member of the 3rd Louisiana Inf. or it was recorded in the records of that unit.

Do any of you Vicksburg guys have the source?

Vote Here:
This gives me cause to remember both Jeb Stuart being shot in the kidney area and Stonewall trying to cope with his week of deterioration. Not only these men but many that were knowledgeable of approaching death were heroic in how they faced it.
Lubliner.
Absolutely. I posted John’s brother, George Morgan Rikard’s death in the Death Notifications thread of Tom Elmore . He was at peace while he waited six hours for death to come, after being shot in the bowels....

Vote Here:
Lubliner.

I thought about Stuart when I was being hauled 75 miles in an ambulance because of a ruptured hernia...and the medic wouldn't give me anything for the pain (there couldn't have been any shocks on that thing!). Every time I hit a bump, I thought about him in that horse-drawn ambulance over those rough roads. :nah disagree:

Vote Here:
Back