The Most Famous Prisoner at Andersonville (and a hopeful sign about the NARA)

I have sat through two youtube seminar classes on Writing theory and what was once supposed to be stringent was wrong; i.e. used improperly/ I mean properly. ( :cold: ).
Lubliner.
In grad school, I came across a professor who said bad spelling, grammar and punctuation are still legitimate forms of communication and promptly made him my advisor. I used to teach inner city high school, and I told my kids, "The way you talk isn't wrong, but I need to give you the skills to get hired, and if you can't write or speak clearly enough to be understood, you aren't going to get a decent job." Part way through the year, the kids started trying to teach me how to "Speak ghetto," and then laughing hysterically when I tried. I figured it was fair; if they were going to learn my language, it was only fair that I learned to speak theirs.

And if yo think yo can make a housewife out of a 'ho, y'all be mad whack.

Go ahead. Laugh.

As far as the castration goes, someone posted the examining doctor's description of the process and its aftermath. I used to watch them neuter cats occasionally when I volunteered at an animal shelter, and Corbett's "procedure" was a lot like how they neuter cats. I always felt like it was kind of adding insult to injury when they'd chuck the removed parts into the trash, though.

As far as the castration goes, someone posted the examining doctor's description of the process and its aftermath. I used to watch them neuter cats occasionally when I volunteered at an animal shelter, and Corbett's "procedure" was a lot like how they neuter cats. I always felt like it was kind of adding insult to injury when they'd chuck the removed parts into the trash, though.
My aunt raised pigs and she learned to neuter them. Once a neighbor of hers came to help and after watching my aunt work for a bit he said "If your husband could see how fast you do that, he wouldn't sleep at night."

Thanks for this informative thread on Corbett. His story is probably familiar to most people here on our site, but I'd never read it until now. It's very interesting. Regarding writing styles, I'll say that I spent a lot of my career in advertising writing text and scripts. Advertising is usually written the way people think or speak, so it doesn't always follow the rules of grammar. But if it communicates clearly and persuades, it's well written.

The pictures of Corbett are about 30 years apart, give or take a year. I would say he aged.
More like 20 years apart; the first was taken in 1865, and the second picture was taken before he took the job as the doorkeeper in the Kansas House of Representatives in 1887 (he was sent to the insane asylum in Jan, 1888). Given the long-term health reprecussions of having been in Andersonville (nearly every pension record I read mentions life long intestinal problems with diarrhea), I suspect most of the guys did not age well, but with Boston Corbett you have a whole other set of issues on top of it.

Nutter is my favorite term I've pickup watching English TV shows. Plenty of opportunities to use it in the USA.

Some of the rules we were taught are no longer thought correct. Don't end a sentence with a preposition for example.

Sometimes when writing informally I enjoy using incorrect words or structure for fun.

@Gary Morgan thank you for this post
Nutter ... nutcase, 'nutty as a fruit cake' are some more uses of it. 'Not all there,' said with a knowing wink and a tap of the nose when in polite company 😇

Stanton order him released and called him a ''patriot''. Question on that do I. Then I also have question on those missing pages from a certain diary that Booth had. Wonder who may have not wanted those pages to be seen?. Maybe we will find when we find the missing minutes from Nixon's tape recorder.
I'm fairly sure that those missing pages are known to exist and that they contain nothing whatsoever implicating Stanton. They are in fact mundane entries of little or no use unless a person wants to obsessively know everything about Booth.

The myth concerning those "missing" pages has been around at least since the late 1980's / early 1990's when there was a video promoting every scandalous and ridiculously false conspiracy theory surrounding Lincoln's assassination. It would make the New York Post seem cautious in its headlines.

1977, Sunn Classic Pictures movie “The Lincoln Conspiracy"

Even if there was a government conspiracy to cover up the facts of Lincoln's assassination in the immediate post CW years, why would there be a need to keep it covered up now?

1977, Sunn Classic Pictures movie “The Lincoln Conspiracy"

I have seen that one a few times on the History Channel.

Les Nessmon as Dr. Charles Leale. The laugh factor of that "movie/documentary" is off the scale.
guffaw.gif

Back