Grant The Mistakes of Grant by W.S. Rosecrans

nitrofd

Retired User
We have had some long laboring threads dealing with Grant and Rosecrans but I happened to come across this article that was published by "The North American Review" Vol.141 No.349 Dec.,1885..pages 580-599.
Rosecrans wrote this article in response to the articles that were published in the "Century Mgazine" of which we know today became the 4 volume work "Battles and Leaders".
Rosecrans states that he didn't want to write because the author had died and there was too much sympathy towards him with all his glory.Grant died July 23,1885.
In his article he states it is for the intelligent students of the war who want to know the true story.
The article covers the time just before the start of the Tullahoma Campaign until Rosecrans is relieve of command Oct.23,1863.i will give one quote from the article first then how you can read the whole article.
"I have said enough concerning this article in the "Century" to warn readers and students of the military history of the war that the article abounds in inaccurate, misleading and untruthful statements.Forebearing that detail which any unbiased critic could readily make of the proof that the author of the "Century" article misstated facts to gratify dislikes of others and to glorify himself,".
I would list the full link to the article but I am not allowed to.
all you have to do is go to this site and join for free.you can download three articles per month free of charge, if you want to download more you have to join the pay site.
I have found so much old material it is worth looking at.
www.jstor.org
I would recommend that you download the pdf file rather then read online as it is much better that way.
just search "The Mistakes of Grant" and you will get the complete article.

You can also read it for free on Cornell University's Making of America website. Just go under "browse" and there's a long list of magazines to choose from. Just navigate to "The North American Review" and then 1885 and then December.

Fred Grant has a defense of his father in the same edition. There are other Civil War articles in this magazine. Here are some:

April 1866 Sherman and his Campaigns
October 1875 F. W. Palfrey Memoirs of General Sherman
July 1876 Van Horne's Army of the Cumberland
January 1878 Gen. Richard Taylor Reminiscences of the Civil War
March 1878 Gen. Richard Taylor Stonewall Jackson and the Valley Campaign
October 1885 Daniel Ammen Recollections and Letters of Grant, Part I
December 1885 F. D. Grant Halleck's Injustice to Grant
December 1885 James B. Fry An Acquaintance with Grant
December 1885 The Mistakes of Grant, by W. S. Rosecrans (pp. 580-600)
January 1886 P. G. T. Beauregard The Shiloh Campaign, Part I
February 1886 P. G. T. Beauregard The Shiloh Campaign, Part II
March 1886 Unpublished War Letters by Generals Grant and Halleck
April 1886 Anna Ella Carroll Plan of the Tennessee Campaign
April 1886 U. S. Grant on Generals Sherman and McPherson
June 1886 Donn Piatt Edwin M Stanton
December 1886 James A. Garfield My Campaign in East Kentucky
December 1886 Joseph E. Johnston Jefferson Davis and the Mississippi Campaign
Mar 1887 P. G. T. Beauregard Drury's Bluff and Petersburg
Mar 1887 S. H. M. Byers Some War Letters
Apr 1887 S. H. M. Byers Some More War Letters
May 1887 W. T. Sherman on Grant, Thomas, Lee
September 1887 S. H. M. Byers The March to the Sea
February 1888 W. F. Smith The Genius of Battle
May 1889 Right Hon. Viscount Wolseley An English View of the Civil War

Wasn't rosecrans also involved in denying Grant a pension as well?
He felt Grant had squandered the fortune he had made on Wall Street and was not entitled to a government handout.
No doubt his animosity/hatred towards Grant influenced his decision. Interestingly Charles A Dana who backed Grant over Rosecrans in 1863 was against a pension for Grant as well. Politics makes strange bedfellows.

Here are examples of Rosecrans's tassels:
Expired Image Removed
In response I repost part of a letter written by a man who was captured at Chickamauga and spent some time in Libby Prison. The best, to me, part starts at the bottom of the right column of the first page and continues onto the left column of the second. I do hope you'll read it. I'd like to think you are open minded. Btw those actually aren't Rosecrans' tassels. I hope you didn't but them as such on ebay :smile:.

Attachments

• Soldier%27s friend 1.JPG
    Soldier%27s friend 1.JPG
    353.3 KB · Views: 232
I am not complaining. I am pointing out Grant's miss-ques...

I have counted four active Grant threads -- 4! As a person looking to learn more about Grant, this would normally be a welcome sight, regardless of the overwhelming negative nature of the thread titles. It would not really bother me if the threads were jammed full of articles and links backing up the claims (great list Mr. Rose -- I will get to it) but mostly there are posits made that direct the reader to disprove the claim; methodology such as this is not very productive to the serious student. It is only on a rare occasion that I make a statement regarding a historical fact without including a link to source material. If the Grant threads could be kept to this standard, no matter the position of the poster, I would welcome it. (since this was officially a rant, I will not include a link)

I have counted four active Grant threads -- 4! As a person looking to learn more about Grant, this would normally be a welcome sight, regardless of the overwhelming negative nature of the thread titles. It would not really bother me if the threads were jammed full of articles and links backing up the claims (great list Mr. Rose -- I will get to it) but mostly there are posits made that direct the reader to disprove the claim; methodology such as this is not very productive to the serious student. It is only on a rare occasion that I make a statement regarding a historical fact without including a link to source material. If the Grant threads could be kept to this standard, no matter the position of the poster, I would welcome it. (since this was officially a rant, I will not include a link)

You just do not agree with your opposition to you position... If you read through the threads the info is there from both sides... lets be honest Mr. Moore has all kinds of info in his opposition to Grant...

You just do not agree with your opposition to you position... If you read through the threads the info is there from both sides... lets be honest Mr. Moore has all kinds of info in his opposition to Grant...
I've read a lot of opinions from some people, but no facts on issues from Reconstruction to who wrote Grant's memoirs to what someone thinks a particular historian should write about. Those opinions are not fact and should not be confused with facts.

As you say, let's be honest.

And, of course, Mr. Moore and you don't agree with opposition to your positions, and you attempt to counter facts with opinions and speculation. Let's leave it at that. Good luck on your efforts to use computer programs to determine the authorship of Grant's memoirs. We'll be waiting for the results.

Last edited:
I've read a lot of opinions from some people, but no facts on issues from Reconstruction to who wrote Grant's memoirs to what someone thinks a particular historian should write about. Those opinions are not fact and should not be confused with facts.

As you say, let's be honest.

And, of course, Mr. Moore and you don't agree with opposition to your positions, and you attempt to counter facts with opinions and speculation. Let's leave it at that. Good luck on your efforts to use computer programs to determine the authorship of Grant's memoirs. We'll be waiting for the results.
I am amazed that you are still kicking Horace! 🙂

Not my favorite article, this one, but Rosecrans did have some good ones.

Last edited:
I am amazed that you are still kicking Horace!
I am amazed that you are still kicking Horace! 🙂

Not my favorite article, this one, but Rosecrans did have some good ones.
Rosecrans never wrote his Memoirs. He did write several articles about his role in the War. Of course memoirs by anyone are subject to criticism. Aside from Grant’s I don’t think many CW memoirs are read much today or even considered trustworthy.
Rosecrans’ biggest defender was Henry Boynton - dismissed or hated by the usual suspects on this site- and Donn Piatt - mostly unknown to those suspects.
For me the most convincing testimony is from the men who knew and fought under him. Their words can be very moving at times. It’s really why I’m so sure in my conclusions. Nothing beats reading primary source letters for learning and pleasure.

Back