NF The Mississippi 18th Cavalry Regiment -- new book

Non-Fiction

DixieRifles

Major
Member of the Year
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
I just happened upon a new book while searching Amazon. I wanted to know more details about the book.

Historical Sketch And Roster Of The Mississippi 18th Cavalry Regiment
(Mississippi Regimental History Series) Paperback – April 1, 2019
by John C. Rigdon
Paperback $25
Paperback: 266 pages
Publisher: Independently published (April 1, 2019)
ISBN-10: 109236109X
ISBN-13: 978-1092361095
Product Dimensions: 6 x 0.6 x 9 inches

The Mississippi 18th Cavalry Regiment [also called the 18th Battalion] was organized during the late fall of 1862 with eight companies. Many of the men were recruited in Smith, Coahoma, and Sunflower counties. The unit served in Chalmers', R. McCulloch's, Slemon's Brigade, then returned to McCulloch's, and finally Starke's Brigade. It skirmished in various conflicts in Tennessee and Mississippi. The battalion contained 225 effectives in October, 1863 and reported 6 casualties at Collierville and 51 in the expedition from Memphis into Mississippi. It ended the war in Mississippi with only a few officers and men.

Has anyone bought this book?
Is this just a book with roster of men or does it have any real history of their role in some battles??

I'm more interested in the Waul's Texas Legion books to be honest.

I've seen those "Mississippi Regimental Histories" series of books, along with similar books of regimental histories of other States, but I've had the same questions as you, hence why I've not picked up a copy of one I recall seeing covering the 1st CS Artillery.

I'm curious to see where this thread goes.

Back