1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

The Mill Springs Battlefield

Discussion in 'The Civil War Traveler's Companion' started by Buckeye Bill, May 22, 2014.

1. Buckeye Bill

Buckeye Bill 1st Lieutenant

I concur, Donna!

Kentucky is a wonderful state filled with rich American history.

Bill

donna likes this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. littledoug

littledoug Corporal

Thanks for bumping this on the anniversary. I missed it before, which was a crying shame. Second the kudos to the Bluegrass State for their fine preservation and park efforts.

Buckeye Bill and donna like this.
  4. ole

ole Brev. Brig. Gen'l Retired Moderator

Have been to most, if not all, of the notable battlefields in Kentucky and all of them have been admirably preserved. I wonder why that is. None of them are under the control of the NPS. They just do it.

nitrofd, Buckeye Bill and donna like this.
  5. donna

donna Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host

As far back as I can remember Ky. has always taken care of its historical sites and parks. I remember when my Mom worked for the state, she traveled and they always put them up in state parks. They were so nice and had excellent food.

We have stayed in many state parks in other states but the ones in Ky. really do rate the best.

Another thing my Mom started while working for the state was collecting wildlife prints. The popular wildlife artist in Ky. was Ray Harm I have all of my Mom and Dad's collection plus others I have bought. His limited edition prints were offered for sale to employees of state first. That how we got so many of first editions. Many of the state parks have his prints hanging in different areas of their lodges.

Buckeye Bill likes this.
  6. Dave G

Dave G Corporal

A few years ago "The Ravine" was conserved and added to the park. This was an area from which the Rebels continually sent charges uphill toward a Union line at a rail fence with very little luck. The battle was fought in the rain, and most of the shots were misfires. The Rebels really got the muddy end of this stick.

IMG_21366 EdSm.JPG

7. Rank and File

Rank and File Private

Thanks so much for the awesome pictures. Though I don't post often, I read the Forum nearly every day, and I'm always amazed at the quality of the information. I haven't visited any of the battlefields in KY, but they are definitely on my list.

Buckeye Bill and donna like this.
  8. donna

donna Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host

Rank and File, I hope you do visit Ky. It is a beautiful state with much to see.

9. bankerpapaw

bankerpapaw 2nd Lieutenant

Once again, great pictures. Thanks again.

Buckeye Bill likes this.
  10. Buckeye Bill

Welcome and thank you!

After my son and I toured this battlefield, we visited the Camp Wildcat Battlefield.

On top of a high hill is the battlefield.

We heard plenty of banjos!!!

Bill

bdtex likes this.
  11. jackt62

jackt62 Sergeant Major

I have been to Kentucky, a most beautiful state with wonderful people. I certainly want to visit the state again and possibly get to Mill Springs, which I had not visited.

donna likes this.
  12. Dave G

Dave G Corporal

This was one of the first battlefields I saw when I started to get serious about the Civil War. I went to Mill Springs and found out that the battlefield was somewhere else. But there's always something to see. This building is still at Mill Springs, KY but unfortunately has been completely renovated. They carried tons of antiques and old hardware.

Mill Springs (Dunagan's) General Store & Post Office 1999
    99C816 Edit.jpg

13. ole

ole Brev. Brig. Gen'l Retired Moderator

The battle has many names. One is Logan's Crossroads. The VC is at the northern terminus very near the town of Nancy at least 10 miles north of Mill Springs.

Maybe the battle was named after the largest town in the area but, you are right; the battle wasn't anywhere near Mill Springs.

donna and Buckeye Bill like this.
  14. Buckeye Bill

I like the Battle of Fishing Creek!

Sounds like a sporting event......

Bill

donna likes this.
  15. DixieRifles

DixieRifles 1st Lieutenant

Nice, Nice, Niiiice.

I need get up there to see it.

KLSDAD and Buckeye Bill like this.
  16. Buckeye Bill

The Battle of Mill Springs (Logan's Crossroads, Fishing Creek, Beech Grove), Kentucky occurred on this day in 1862. Federal Major General George Thomas defeats Confederates commanded by Major General George Crittenden. This battle secured Federal control of the region and resulted in the death of Confederate Brigadier General Felix Zollicoffer. Zollicoffer was wearing his Federal officer's uniform when he was mortally wounded.

nitrofd, redbob and bdtex like this.
  17. Buckeye Bill

Enjoy,
    Bill

donna and NFB22 like this.
  18. NFB22

NFB22 First Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

Was about to post to ask if anyone has visited here but I see you've basically answered my questions Bill, great photos. I'm thinking of making a trip down in the next few weeks as long as the weather is nice and it hasn't been too wet in the days before.

Buckeye Bill likes this.
  19. Buckeye Bill

The starting point is the visitor center. It is a nice center and museum. They will issue their official state tour map of the battlefield (you can PDF download on their web site). This tour will take you south towards the Cumberland River. Then you will have to retrace your travels, head north towards the visitor center and then do a drive around the river to get to the grist mill site. The battlefield tour is well worth the travel but I wish there was a bridge connecting tour stop 8 to tour stop 9!

Bill

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    NFB22 likes this.
  20. Buckeye Bill

I will be returning to the Mill Springs Battlefield in the morning. I will be bringing a new camera with a new lens. I am really fond of this American Civil War site!

Bill

chellers likes this.
  21. Patrick H

Patrick H Captain

Bill, I'll look forward to your update posts tomorrow. I know many others will be waiting, too. Few others do a photo tour quite like you do.

Buckeye Bill likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)