First Bull Run The Marines have landed at First Bull Run/Manassas!

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

M E Wolf

Colonel
Retired Moderator
Dear List Members,

Well, in this particular theme of things; I am focused on the Marines that walked eight hours as raw recruits to the first battle of Bull Run/Manassas.
The 147th anniversary is nearing.

Major Reynolds getting as many of his officers and men back to the barracks alive was a feat that should be remembered; as well as all those who fought on those bloody fields.

By 'historic' standards; this participation is unique and I just hope that others won't forget. Being aware that Marine's design and mission wasn't to be total 'infantry;' this participation demonstrated that they were much appreciated in 1861; regardless how raw they were.

Just some thoughts.

Respectfully submitted for consideration,
M. E. Wolf

M E Wolf

Colonel
Retired Moderator
Dear List Members,

Saturday, the 5th of July, I got a return from the USMC History section in which I got some background information on Major Reynolds and Lt. Hitchcock who died on the field.

It was a mixed bag. Some things, like the letters were interesting but, I am telling you -- somebody needs to donate a better scanner and copier to that USMC History section -- shesh--can't read things well on it at all!

If I can type up 15 pages of USMC action at First Manassas/Bull Run and USMC giving me 15 pages of USMC from Mexico to the Civil War's ending; it speaks for itself.

Sadly, there was no hint of the USMC's response to my inquiry if they would be holding a memorial service for those guys at either the Barracks or on Manassas's Battlefield.

It seems at this point -- I will be holding my own vigil. I have not the money to pay for a US Marine Corps replica uniform of the Civil War. Perhaps some other time --to, perhaps be in Civil War attire and 'Rest on Arms.'

Disappointed thus far,
M. E. Wolf

Borderruffian

1st Lieutenant
You'd have to get the Dept. of the Navy to cut loose funds for a new scanner. The one at HQMC is probably a hand me down.

You all so might want to contact the USS Constitution Marine Detachment (reenactors) they might be willing to go to Mannassas at some point. They have a website and I believe they are the Marine Unit that was visable in Gods and Generals.

As far as the Corps sending a detail from 8th and I I wouldn't hold my breathe given their other ceromonial details.

M E Wolf

Colonel
Retired Moderator
Dear Borderruffian,

Thank you for all your information.

I have my hands full until after the 13th; then I may press more. I need to respond to the research materials and send on new information they may wish to see.

Respectfully,
M. E. Wolf

Borderruffian

1st Lieutenant
Good luck.

You might also want to check out the Battle of Drewerys Bluff Va. It included both CSMC and USMC troops. The CSMC were the detachment from the CSS Virginia (Merrimack) and it's Navy Gunners under Catsby Jones. The USMC units were pulled from the various Union vessels. Cpl. J.F. Mackie was awarded the MOH for his actions there becoming the 1st Marine to be so honored.