"The Lost Colony of the Confederacy" by Eugene C. Harter

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
I learned about this book from a presentation on our local KET show "Kentucky Life". They did a segment on this lost colony in Brazil. I wanted to learn more and was able to get this book through my library.

It is written by the late Eugene C. Harter who was the grandson and great grandson of Confederates who left Texas and Mississippi as a part of the great Confederate migration in the late 1860s.

"The Lost Colony of the Confederacy" is the story of the journey of twenty thousand Confederates to Brazil at the end of the Civil War. Many Confederates migrated to South America. Their departure was fueled by bitterness over a lost cause and a distaste for an oppressive victor. Encouraged by Emperor Don Pedro, most of these exiles settled in Brazil.

At the end of the Civil War the exodus was widely known and discussed as an indicator of the resentment against the northern invaders and strict governmental measures. However, as time went by it was not mention. This is the first book to focus on this mass migration.

Mr. Harter vividly describes the lives of these last Confederates who founded their own city and were called Os Confederados by the Brazilians. They retained much of their Southerness and lent an American flavor to Brazilian culture.

This book, first published in 1985, details the background of the exodus and describes the life of twentieth-century descendants, who have a strong link to both Southern history and to modern Brazil. Southern ways have melded into Brazilian and both are linked by the unbreakable bonds of history, as shown in this account.

I highly recommend this book.