"The Lost Colony of the Confederacy" by Eugene C. Harter

Billy Yank

First Sergeant
Fascinating topic. Definitely going to look for a copy of this book. I have many, many questions about what lifestyles these colonies were able to achieve and sustain relative to the antebellum south.

bdtex

Major General
★★ Sr. Moderator
Silver Patron
Annual Winner
Regtl. Quartermaster Chickamauga 2018 Vicksburg 2019
I ought to get a commission for all these orders. Hope you all enjoy it.
5% would be a whole $0.93. :smile: My reading list so far for 2018 has kind of been a change of pace. This one continues that trend. You're a good salesperson. :D

bdtex

Major General
★★ Sr. Moderator
Silver Patron
Annual Winner
I finished "The Lost Colony of the Confederacy" tonight. It was copyrighted in 1985. My copy was the Third Printing in 1988. I enjoyed it and it was a pretty quick read. I think I started it on Thursday last week. Didn't get much read last Saturday-Christmas Day. Knocked out quite a bit last night and today. The book was a nice change of pace from what I've been reading most of this year. The exact number of Conferados that immigrated to Brazil is unknown,but it's estimated that about 20,000 did from 1866-1871. That surprised me. Some came back,but most of them didn't. A famous person talked about in the book but not one of the immigrants is buried at Oakwood Cemetery in Montgomery,AL. I already had reason to want to go back there,but now I have another gravesite to look for. There appear to be a few more copies of the book available at Abebooks now than there were in April. I too recommend it as others have in this thread.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=The Lost Colony of the Confederacy&sts=t

bdtex

Major General
★★ Sr. Moderator
Silver Patron
Annual Winner
bdtex glad you enjoyed it. I think I will re read it. Been reading on the war in Florida since now live here and Also history of Florida in general.
Well then...not to take this thread off-topic but perhaps you have found and purchased Dale Cox's books on the Battle Of Marianna and the Battle Of Natural Bridge. He also has a book about the Civil War history of Jackson County,Florida. I haven't bought/read it yet.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=30120569007&searchurl=sortby=17&an=Dale+Cox&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp5-_-title25

bdtex

Major General
★★ Sr. Moderator
Silver Patron
Annual Winner
Bumping this thread. Just went to program on this Colony last month.
Wish I could have been there. There is a gentleman here in Texas that I see at some events who goes to the annual Confederado festival in Brazil.

Joshism

2nd Lieutenant
Brazil did not abolish slavery until 1888. I wonder how much that factored in the choice of Brazil as the settlement location?

Also makes me wonder how many people with dead ends in their Southern family tree are people who moved to Brazil, Belize, or the like? Seems like something difficult to track from vital records.

Did Southern newspapers mention residents leaving for Latin America? Or was the subject not so openly discussed?