1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

"The Lost Colony of the Confederacy" by Eugene C. Harter

Discussion in 'Book & Movie Review Tent' started by donna, Feb 13, 2012.

1. donna

donna Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host

I learned about this book from a presentation on our local KET show "Kentucky Life". They did a segment on this lost colony in Brazil. I wanted to learn more and was able to get this book through my library.

It is written by the late Eugene C. Harter who was the grandson and great grandson of Confederates who left Texas and Mississippi as a part of the great Confederate migration in the late 1860s.

"The Lost Colony of the Confederacy" is the story of the journey of twenty thousand Confederates to Brazil at the end of the Civil War. Many Confederates migrated to South America. Their departure was fueled by bitterness over a lost cause and a distaste for an oppressive victor. Encouraged by Emperor Don Pedro, most of these exiles settled in Brazil.

At the end of the Civil War the exodus was widely known and discussed as an indicator of the resentment against the northern invaders and strict governmental measures. However, as time went by it was not mention. This is the first book to focus on this mass migration.

Mr. Harter vividly describes the lives of these last Confederates who founded their own city and were called Os Confederados by the Brazilians. They retained much of their Southerness and lent an American flavor to Brazilian culture.

This book, first published in 1985, details the background of the exodus and describes the life of twentieth-century descendants, who have a strong link to both Southern history and to modern Brazil. Southern ways have melded into Brazilian and both are linked by the unbreakable bonds of history, as shown in this account.

I highly recommend this book.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Robtweb1

Robtweb1 2nd Lieutenant Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner
    Retired Moderator

The descendents of this group call themselves the Confederados. They send a delegation up here once a year to tour battlefields, etc.

Lazy Bayou likes this.
  4. TerryB

TerryB Major

One of my ancestors was a Confederado, first in Brazil, then Mexico until 1867. How available is the book? I'd like to get it.

5. Claude Bauer

Claude Bauer Corporal

Here are some YouTube videos about them:

Lazy Bayou and oldpete63 like this.
  6. Lazy Bayou

Lazy Bayou 1st Lieutenant

Thanks Claude, for posting these clips. Very interesting.

7. Jantzen

Jantzen Private

There was also a significant contingent of ex confederates in what is now modern day Belize - formerly British Honduras. See Confederate Settlements in British Honduras, Donald C. Simmons, Jr. (McFarland 2001). Really interesting read as to one option folks took to flee from the results of the war.

8. donna

TerryB

I had to wait a long time for book from my main library. I want to buy it but will have to find out more. The author Eugene C. Harter died in 2010, The book is published by Texas A&M University Press. Maybe copies can be obtained thorough them. It was published by them in 2000. Previously it was published by University Press of Mississippi. The authors ancestors were from both Texas and Mississippi.

Claude Thanks for posting videos. The presentation on Kentucky Life was very good. Sometimes the KET station that shows its presentation makes videos of them.

9. MarylandLine

MarylandLine Sergeant

Mr Harter lived nearby and I had the pleasure of meeting him once. Another book on the subject is "The Elusive Eden: Frank McMullan's Confederate Colony in Brazil" by Griggs. My family is a large Texas/Mississippi family and we had kin head to Brazil after the war....be neat to meet them. :smile:

uaskme, donna and Lazy Bayou like this.
  10. oldpete63

oldpete63 Sergeant Major Trivia Game Winner

11. donna

oldpete63 Did you ever get book? I want to buy one. I told my UDC chapter about it Sat., March 3rd. Everyone is going to read it and then we going to discuss at our May meeting. I have really enjoyed the book and want one for my library.

12. oldpete63

oldpete63 Sergeant Major Trivia Game Winner

Sorry, Donna - still waiting - from a private seller - said they sent it :frown:

13. donna

Here is the thread I started when I read the book. As I said in other thread, I now have copy of book.

14. John Hartwell

John Hartwell Major Forum Host

Harter book available new on eBay for $18.95 (multiple copies).

jno

15. donna

Here is my thread on the Lost Colony.

uaskme and Littlestown like this.
  16. donna

This book is worth reading. There is also a member of my chapter of Daughters of the Confederacy who has ancestors that went to Brazil after the war. One is her great great grandfather. I am hoping she gives talk on this for our group.

My chapter also read this book together and had program on it.

bdtex likes this.
  17. donna

Bumping thread on The Lost Colony about Confederates who went to Brazil after the war.

AshleyMel likes this.
  18. bdtex

bdtex Brigadier General Moderator

Did she do that?

donna likes this.
  19. donna

She did give talk on him. It was very interesting. He actually was one of founders of the Colony.

AshleyMel, ErnieMac and bdtex like this.
  20. uaskme

uaskme First Sergeant

Just bought the Harter book at Abe Books on line. $3.97 used.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    AshleyMel, donna and bdtex like this.
  21. bdtex

bdtex Brigadier General Moderator

I got the $4.86 one. :smile:

AshleyMel and donna like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)