The ' Lincoln At Antietam ' Photos

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
There are probably a few more of these, just began tooling through them last night and a few things got to me.

I've been ' out of it ' lately, really, really preoccupied out in non-cyber world grappling with ridiculously unwieldy events. Got a pair of those gloves receivers wear or something, grip is better but these photos tickled me hugely! Cropped them for a better look.

You have to adore the General's face, OH Good Grief, McClellan isn't even trying for the photographer- and he loved having his picture taken. I'm unsure how Lincoln felt about photographs, he looks fairly unmoved. Note the battle flag, left bottom foreground? Plus- Little Mac is using THE flag for a table cloth....... I think? Unless it's there in some other mode- unsure. Looks to be spread on a little table with objects on top?

Then the one with Lincoln, Pinkerton and McClernand? WHY has McClernand allowed a newspaper to blow against his leg without asking to have it removed in that shot, why is the Lincoln look-alike slouching like a bored lounge-lizard in the background, why is Pinkerton looking so ill at ease and I'm sorry, like a shady kind of fellow himself?

Of course the group photos are always wonderful, photography being so new you get the impression it was just tough to pose for a camera. Lincoln never, ever changes expression or position- today he would be a press agent's nightmare, thankfully no one had to worry about that.

anietam lincoln 1.jpg

antietam lincoln 2.jpg

antietam lincoln mclellan2.jpg

antietam mclerland pinktn 2.jpg

antietam mclerland pinktn.jpg

Is that the Confederate Battle Flag in the bottom left corner in the first two fotos in the OP?

If so, the Union flag on top of a table and the Confederate flag lying on the ground makes for nice symbolism IMO. Intentional or coincidence? Guess we'll never know. :smile:

Is that the Confederate Battle Flag in the bottom left corner in the first two fotos in the OP?

If so, the Union flag on top of a table and the Confederate flag lying on the ground makes for nice symbolism IMO. Intentional or coincidence? Guess we'll never know. :smile:

Oh, guessing it was a captured battle flag, no symbolism intended. He may have pointedly disregarded it but kinda doubt he'd have set up a kind of display. It's McClellan. With Lincoln stopping by it's possible he did ensure the Boss would see it- evidence of his aggressive pursuits. :angel:

Here's another one.

Do not remember seeing this one, thank you! Do we know who were the other gentlemen , non-military?

There is an interesting book called Lens of War which examines several famous CW images, including the Lincoln-McClellan in the tent photograph. I'll dig it up when I have time.

Is that the Confederate Battle Flag in the bottom left corner in the first two fotos in the OP? If so, the Union flag on top of a table and the Confederate flag lying on the ground makes for nice symbolism IMO. Intentional or coincidence? Guess we'll never know. :smile:

Yes it sure is.. It is speculated that it might be the flag of the 11th Alabama captured at the Sunken Road.

the-11th-alabama-flag_0.jpg

Having participated in the capture of Harpers Ferry on September 15, 1862, the 11th Alabama, part of Wilcox’s Brigade, was part of R.H. Anderson’s reinforcement of D.H. Hill’s sagging line in the Sunken Road. Rushed forward to the Confederate right, the 11th Alabama suffered 3 killed and 26 wounded during the intense fight that also led to the capture of this flag by the 57th New York Infantry.

This flag, with its diagonal rip, has intrigued flag scholars for years. Could this be the Confederate battle flag that is seen in the famous photo of George McClellan and Abraham Lincoln after the battle? It matches the descriptions made of it by participants in that famous meeting.

https://www.battlefields.org/learn/articles/flags-antietam

Last edited:
I actually thought the flag symbolism was staged. It presents an overt slap at the Confederacy for the northern public to gobble up.
"Old Glory" is securely under cover, up on the table, at the elbow of the President.
The Confederate battle flag is NOT garbled up so we can see the captured Stars and Bars. It has been tossed with contempt to the ground.
A little, subtle propaganda for the home front?

Back