KY The Lexington Cemetery (Lexington, Kentucky)

One thing about Breckenridge and Morgan's statues, you can see them much more clearly now than when they were around the courthouse and I think that they are now in a setting where they can be better appreciated.
Totally disagree, they need appropriate bases similar to how they were. This is an insult and hopefully the SCV and the UDC can pass the hat and get them set up.

Seeing them as they are now and having missed them when I visited Lexington a couple of years ago before they were moved, the bases or pedestals they're on are too small proportionally to the statues themselves; Morgan especially is TOO low. Bill, exactly where are they in relation to the graves of Morgan and Breckinridge? There were obviously plots or spaces big enough to contain them but how close are they to the graves - do they seem out-of-place where they are, or are they near enough to make it seem "natural" that they are where they are?
Agree with you James, hopefully the SCV and UDC are working on getting the appropriate bases.

CW Watch do go. It is a beautiful Cemetery.
Donna, since you are much closer, can you get a feel for whether the UDC or SCV are working on getting appropriate bases set up for Morgan and Breckenridge? Oops I guess I just noticed your Florida residence, well, maybe you have contacts in KY?

View attachment 199109
* The Kentucky State Historical Marker.

The Lexington Cemetery
is a private, non-profit 170-acre cemetery and arboretum located at 833 W. Main Street, Lexington, Kentucky. It is open to the public from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

The Lexington Cemetery was established in 1849 as a place of beauty and a public cemetery, in part to deal with burials from the cholera epidemic in the area. It now contains more than 64,000 interments.

Its plantings include boxwood, cherries, crabapples, dogwoods, magnolias, taxus, as well as flowers such as begonias, chrysanthemums, irises, jonquils, lantanas, lilies, and tulips. Also on the grounds is an American basswood (Tilia Americana), which the cemetery claims to be the largest in the world. However, this claim is not supported by the National Register of Big Trees, which claims that the largest American Basswood is located in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania.

Within the cemetery are three places that are listed separately on the National Register of Historic Places from the main cemetery: Confederate Soldier Monument in Lexington, the Ladies' Confederate Memorial, and Lexington National Cemetery. @donna

* The Lexington Cemetery Main Office Building.
View attachment 199110

* The Henry Clay Monument.

View attachment 199111

* The Henry Clay Grave Site.

View attachment 199113

* The Henry Clay Grave.

View attachment 199114

* The John Hunt Morgan Family Plot.

View attachment 199115

* The Confederate Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan Statue.

View attachment 199116

* The John C. Breckinridge Family Plot.

View attachment 199117

* The John C. Breckinridge Statue.

View attachment 199118

* The Lexington National Cemetery.

View attachment 199119

* The Confederate Soldier Statue.

View attachment 199120

* The Confederate Soldier Section.

View attachment 199121

* A Confederate Soldier's Grave.

View attachment 199122

* The Adolf Rupp Family Plot (University of Kentucky Head Coach Men's Basketball).

View attachment 199123
Does that C.S. soldier have his nose lopped off?

the bases or pedestals they're on are too small proportionally to the statues themselves; Morgan especially is TOO low

It striked me at first sight that the statues look out of place where they are now. Sure it's good that they are not just done away with, but that your cemetries now become a kind of landfill for statues that are no longer allowed to remain where they were is a sad thing in my eyes.

Great thread again, @Buckeye Bill , you really take us to interesting places!

It striked me at first sight that the statues look out of place where they are now. Sure it's good that they are not just done away with, but that your cemetries now become a kind of landfill for statues that are no longer allowed to remain where they were is a sad thing in my eyes.

Great thread again, @Buckeye Bill , you really take us to interesting places!
Exactly well put!

Affirmative, Devil Dog!

Semper Fi,
Bill
And if you need a good restaurant, my 15 year old Grandson knows all the best spots; especially when the Grandfather is paying. You coming down I-65 or I-75, there is a great Civil War museum in Bardstown if you get over that way.

And if you need a good restaurant, my 15 year old Grandson knows all the best spots; especially when the Grandfather is paying. You coming down I-65 or I-75, there is a great Civil War museum in Bardstown if you get over that way.

I tried to visit this museum in 2016 but it was closed for renovations. By the way, I was thinking about you last night when I was reading the Atlanta Defense book you sent me.

Bill

I tried to visit this museum in 2016 but it was closed for renovations. By the way, I was thinking about you last night when I was reading the Atlanta Defense book you sent me.

Bill
I hope that you enjoyed it and if your travels ever bring you down this way, you are always welcome at my home.

Back