Lincoln The Lesser Known Lincoln Conspirator

Those were harsh, hysterical times. In general, the court system of those days seems to have been more casual: I've spent time researching a murder & trial held in Maine only a few years later--and was disturbed at what passed for a judicial procedure. I doubt that a jury of today would have convicted Spangler.

Just weighing the above information: Rope- no connection as he was a carpenter and would have use for ropes in his building projects.
Maj. Stewart comment-- Since an employee of the theater, he would have authorized access to non
public areas of the theater.
Jake Rittersback -- His comments appear to be the most damning if they could be confirmed.
Holding horse-- A favor for a acquaintance, unless proven he knew the reason.

Midst the hysteria that swept Washington D. C., and the country the night of April 15 and for weeks after anyone with the merest shadow of relationship to Booth or Ford’s Theater was under suspicion of being an accessory to Lincoln’s assassination. That a military trial instead of a civilian one, pretty much sealed the fate of all who were arrested, innocent or not.

Controversy has occurred since the trial, conviction and execution of Lincoln conspirators. The fact that John Surratt was acquitted before a civil jury just 18 months later shows how unfair the military trial was. All of the accused were denied the opportunity to speak to their innocence.

Spangler was more than likely awed by Booth’s fame and just followed his request which he handed off to another stage hand, John “Peanuts” Burroughs who was not charged as an accessory. Spangler I believe was just a bystander hailed by Booth to hold his horse, nothing more.
Regards
David

I am more interested in the man who was suppose to be guarding the door to the balcony in which Lincoln was watching the play. Was he ever questioned as to why he left the post at the most opportune time for Booth to enter ? O yes, he was thirsty and had to leave to go over to the bar to have a few brews ! May be Booth ever prepaid for these. There is something about people that do not believe that one person is capable of doing such acts without some grand conspiracy. Oswald was set up by unknown parties to be a part of team that assassinated Kennedy, . There is another issue ; What happen to the missing pages in Booth's diary and could Sec. of War Stanton had them remove here are those who even believe that the body removed from that barn was not Booth. Lucky Shot right ?

Last edited:
A Washington D. C. cop, John Frederick Parker, was Lincoln’s sole bodyguard. This article from the Smithsonian Magazine provides a trove of information about this matter.

As regards the possible conspiracy angle, I have one question? How can that many people keep a secret? I feel the same way regarding JFK. People can’t keep their mouths shut that long.
Regards
David

Smithsonian Magazine

Lincoln’s Missing Bodyguard

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/lincolns-missing-bodyguard-12932069/

Back