The late unpleasantness February 25th

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Stiles/Akin

Sergeant Major
February 25, 1862
Nashville Fell to Union Troops
The Union army entered Nashville, TN; it was the first Confederate capital to fall back under Union control. The Confederate army, under native Georgian William J. Hardee, fell back into Alabama.

February 25, 1863
Letter Described Camp Life Between Campaigns
A Georgia soldier writing home to his mother described camp life in Virginia, in the lull between campaigns.

“…This will inform you that I am well except for a very bad cold. Mr. Todd got back last Saturday night. He brought everything safe through but my brandy and he drank it up before he got here. Mine and R.N.’s too! But he said he would pay it back the first chance. I was so glad to get my butter that I did not think much about the brandy but he brought 2 bottles of brandy to some of my mess and I got as much of that as done me any good. There is 6 of us and after drinking a half gallon of good old peach brandy we were all rich enough! We had a fine feast for breakfast that morning when Mr. Todd brought John Wallis some sausage meat and me some butter. I tell you it made me think of old times. … We have had some awful bad weather here of late. Last Sunday was the coldest day I ever saw. I think the snow is now from one to two feet deep. We have nothing but snow here lately. I have saw more snow this winter than I ever saw in my life. …” Source: Elizabeth Whitley Roberson, In Care of Yellow River: The Complete Civil War Letters of Pvt. Eli Pinson Landers to His Mother (Gretna: Pelican Publishing Company, 1997), p.

February 25, 1864
Skirmishes Precursor to Atlanta Campaign
The Union army in Chattanooga and north Georgia, then under the command of General George H. Thomas, began a probe to test the strength of the Confederate defenses, under General Joseph E. Johnston. The first of three straight days of skirmishing took place on this day at Buzzard Roost. These skirmishes were precursors to the Atlanta Campaign, which would be launched in May.

February 25, 1864
Old Home Sold, Mangled Soldiers Seen
Julia Johnson Fisher, in Camden County, wrote in her diary of their old homestead being sold, and a relative seeing some disturbing sights of wounded soldiers.

A letter from Esther telling that the homestead is sold. We have no longer a father, mother or home. I did not expect to see this day, nor such a time for our Country. Julia wrote to us from the station that she was obliged to sleep in a negro house in the care of negroes one night, and that some of the wounded soldiers had come on the cars terribly mangled. The rebels are incensed at Mrs. Alberti, suspecting her of having dealings with the enemy. They threatened to burn all her buildings. Yesterday Mr. Fisher and Sybil went to Brookfield in the cart. Mrs. Brazil has named her little girl Julia Fisher. I know of no other reason than because I have taught her little girls on the Sabbath. Our peach and plum trees are in bloom but are injured by the severe frosts. We have had an unusually cold winter. Source: Julia Johnson Fisher, 1814-1885 Diary, 1864

February 25, 1864
First Prisoners Arrived at Andersonville
The first five-hundred Union prisoners arrived at Camp Sumter, the prisoner of war camp near Andersonville, Georgia. They had been transported by railroad from Richmond; after arrival, they were marched by Confederate guards to the only partially completed stockade. It contained no shelter or sanitary facilities, only a three-foot wide stream of water running through the middle of the prison.

February 25, 1865
Letter to Governor Wanted Georgia Out of War
A Macon man, who had lost much property and had a son killed, wrote a letter to Georgia Governor Joseph E. Brown, pleading with him to get Georgia out of the war.

“… I have never been a politician. You do not know me. I have been introduced to you and we have conversed together as Baptists. I live in the country, and I think I know the minds of the country people better than you do yourself. Many of your friends who live in cities and towns and have daily intercourse with military officers still retain a considerable war spirit, but that spirit is out in the county! I live in a district where there are now about sixty voters. There were than number present at our election lasts month for justices, and there were only four war men in the crowd, all the balance were Union men, ready and anxious to throw down arms on any terms that reconstruction could be obtained. One of the justices elected said that if the country people would all turn out, they could go and drive every government officer and newspaper editor out of Macon, and he pledged himself to raise 300 men in twenty-four hours for that purpose if required. I have suffered more from the war than many others. All of my property has been destroyed. I have had one son killed, and one maimed for life in battle, and I have three more sons now in the Confederate service, and never one of them away from their post without liberty. Yet all of them and myself think if we as a state would throw down our arms now, we would make a far better arrangement with the old government than if we try to hold out longer. ‘Leave the sinking ship!’ The statement of the President’s hirelings, writing for the papers, all state falsehoods when they say that the armies are anxious still to fight. It is not true. The offices with high [station] and easy situations make these opinions and get up meetings and pass resolutions to that effect, without the knowledge and consent of nine-tenth of the privates in the army. And it is not the feeling of the people generally through the country. You cannot get the people to fight any more. They are going home as fast as they can get there. The country is full of deserters and almost every man in the community will feed them and keep them from being arrested. Stop it, my friend, stop it. All the enlightened world is against us, and God himself is against us!” Source: Mills Lane (ed.), Georgia: History written by Those who lived It (Savannah: Beehive Press, 1995), p. 181.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!