The last surviving witness to Lee's surrender

damYankee

1st Lieutenant
I tried to post this in the biography section but I couldn't find a post link. Perhaps one of the moderators could move this to that section.
But, I found this to be very interesting. Robert Todd Lincoln lived an incredibly interesting life, but seldom did that biography find it's way out of his father's shadow. I believe if he had not been his son he would have been known for more than being present for the deaths of three presidents.
I hope others will enjoy the story

Last edited:
If you watch the short video the speaker addressed the event in which the brother of John Wilks Booth save Robert's life,.
Robert Todd Lincoln was one of the most successful men of his generation, but as you bare witness, it is only the coincidental events of his life that he is remembered for.

He is remembered as more than the president's son. He is remembered as a creep who had his mother committed to an insane asylum and would-be plutocrat who provoked the bloody Pullman Strike in 1894.

The video is too short and too opinionated to do the subject any justice.

Last edited:
I think a biographical book about Robert Todd Lincoln would be a dynamic platform to view what was an incredible era, here's a man who had a front row seat for the Civil War, was attached to Grants command, witnessed the industrial age, the expansion of the western railway, three presidential assassinations, the Spanish American War, the Great War and had a working relationship with every political figure from 1855 to 1926.

Back