1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

The Last Photograph of Gen Grant Four Days Before Death

Discussion in 'Ulysses S. Grant' started by Bee, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Bee

Bee Captain Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017

Capture85.JPG

The last photograph of Ulysses S. Grant was taken 133 years ago on this day, after Grant completed his memoirs. Some items in this photo including Grant's top hat and the chair in which he is sitting, are on display at Grant Cottage today,

Photo and caption courtesy of https://www.grantcottage.org/

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Bee

IMG_0088.JPG

OnThisDay in 1885 Ulysses Grant requested a ride in his Bath chair to see the view from Mt. McGregor’s overlook. His physician, John Douglas, later wrote of this final outing that Grant seemed to wish to linger at the popular site with a view of Saratoga and beyond.

Upon returning to the cottage, Grant had to dismount from his chair and climb a staircase at the train’s freight platform while his chair was hoisted up and over an obstruction. The exertion caused profound fatigue and weakness from which he did not recover.

Photo and text courtesy of https://www.grantcottage.org/

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  4. JOHN42768

JOHN42768 Captain Trivia Game Winner

Thanks for posting. A great place to visit

MC44 and Bee like this.
  5. Bee

IMG_0090.JPG

On July 22, 1885 Ulysses Grant requested to lie down in a bed. For months he had been sleeping upright in chairs to avoid coughing & choking. A bed was brought from the Hotel Balmoral, and he was transferred there by his night nurse Henry McQueeney and eldest son Frederick.

6. Bee

IMG_0091.JPG

Today, in 1885 Ulysses Grant, age 63, died in the cottage parlor surrounded by his adoring family. Eldest son Fred stopped the mantle clock at 8:08 a.m. It hasn’t ticked since & remains a lasting symbol of the end of a great life at a place where time stands still.

Julia Grant described the death of USGrant in her memoir: “…on the morning of July the twenty-third, he, my beloved, my all, passed away, and I was alone, alone."

7. Bee

IMG_0092.JPG

Ulysses S. Grant died from throat cancer at the age of 63 on July 23rd, 1885. More than one million people would observe Grant's funeral parade through NYC. Civil War veterans from both sides of the conflict participated in the ceremony.

Photo courtesy of LOC text from https://www.nps.gov/ulsg/index.htm

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  8. Bee

[​IMG]

Amidst the fury surrounding an American hero's death, there was an artistic endeavor taking place. A 32-year-old sculptor was making a plaster cast of the face of the recently passed US Grant at the cottage on Mt. McGregor.

The story of Karl Gerhardt and his relationship with the Grants https://www.grantcottage.org/blog/2018/7/23/masking-death

9. WJC

WJC Moderator Moderator Trivia Game Winner

Thanks for sharing all of these photos!

Zella, Dom71, jackt62 and 2 others like this.
  10. Bee

My pleasure; I tried to choose photos that have not been widely posted on the forum, previously.

11. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Captain

I find pictures like this almost haunting, knowing the person pictured is so close to his death. I've never seen this photo of Grant before, so thanks for sharing.

12. Belle Montgomery

Belle Montgomery First Sergeant

Did they know where he had been or was going? Definitely not casual clothes he's wearing- especially in July's heat and being so ill. Or is the sketch the same day?

Zella and Bee like this.
  13. Cavalry Charger

Cavalry Charger 1st Lieutenant Silver Patron

He died the day after his son, Ulysses Jnr's, 33rd birthday (born July 22 1852).

Zella, Dom71, Bee and 1 other person like this.
  14. cash

cash Brev. Brig. Gen'l

Great idea for a thread!

Tin cup, Zella, Dom71 and 1 other person like this.
  15. Belle Montgomery

Belle Montgomery First Sergeant

Not sure if this image was posted before of a sick and dying U.S. Grant working on his memoirs, which he finished just days before dying 133 years ago. I apologize if it was posted before but it's such a juxtaposition from the top hat and cane next to him in the other pic. Grant .jpg

16. Bee

The picture belongs here. Thank you for adding it. I will look up your other question when I get home.

17. SWMODave

SWMODave First Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

18. jackt62

jackt62 2nd Lieutenant

Remarkable photos! The story of how Grant raced to finish his memoirs just before his passing is also remarkable.

19. cash

cash Brev. Brig. Gen'l

This thread should have been featured today, since it's the anniversary of his death.

bdtex, Jimklag, jackt62 and 4 others like this.
  20. Bee

My alert box runneth over! I am very pleased that folks liked the pictures :hug:

Grant died the way he lived: fighting all the way.

21. Canadian

Canadian Corporal

A very sad irony that the boy who could tame any horse, the best horseman in his day at West Point, should be pulled in a cart on his last outing. A few months earlier he had written in his memoirs about having to drive an unbroken horse seventy miles back to his home at the age of fifteen. After a close call when he stopped the nervous horse at the edge of a steep embankment his adult companion deserted him, but the ingenious boy calmed the horse with the help of a bandana and made it home, much to the surprise of his former passenger. One of many close calls in a life full of them. I wonder what went through his mind as the man who had done so much heavy lifting, metaphorically and physically, was helped out of his bath chair.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)