The Last Gathering of the G.A.R. Post.

Kurt G

Sergeant Major
A simple scene for Veteran's Day. I used plastic 1/24th scale figures by ICM with slight conversions. Painted in acrylics.

IMG_4047 (3).JPG

Kurt G

Sergeant Major
Not sure what date the Grand Army of the Republic met last, but the style of apparel seem fitted to the 1920's.
Lubliner.
Yes , you are right about the time period. At first I was going to call it "The Old Veteran at Rest 1920" and do a follow up piece showing the cemetery in a rundown condition. I was going to call it " The Old Veteran at Rest 2020."

Lubliner

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
The last G.A.R National Encampment was at Indianapolis in 1948 ... I there were 6 members present, about 20 others couldn't attend. At its height in the 1890s, with a half million members, local posts were closing down with increasing frequency as the new century progressed.
View attachment 384192
The Last Encampment of the G.A.R., 1948​
All centenarians we should suppose. And on another thread, someone said the average life expectancy in 1850 (?) was 40 years of age. I have a hard time believing that gleaning of the statistical record.
Lubliner.

Kurt G

Sergeant Major
All centenarians we should suppose. And on another thread, someone said the average life expectancy in 1850 (?) was 40 years of age. I have a hard time believing that gleaning of the statistical record.
Lubliner.
I think that may be true when you consider the mortality of children back then. Checking my family records shows that many children in the 19th century never made it past the age of 12. In one family 4 of the 10 children died before the age of 9.

NFB22

Sergeant Major
That's nice. I wonder how many people who look at it understand what the G. A. R. was? Nice touch on the guy who lost his arm.

I think this is true even today. Obviously not regarding the G.A.R. but even groups today like the American Legion and the VFW are going by the wayside. I can say I've never even considered becoming a member, just not my thing and I don't think my generation have really gotten involved in high numbers like those that came before us and those who never served probably barely have an understanding of the aforementioned organizations other than they have cheap beer.

Lubliner

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
I think this is true even today. Obviously not regarding the G.A.R. but even groups today like the American Legion and the VFW are going by the wayside. I can say I've never even considered becoming a member, just not my thing and I don't think my generation have really gotten involved in high numbers like those that came before us and those who never served probably barely have an understanding of the aforementioned organizations other than they have cheap beer.
I think in today's society there is more of a push toward membership in AA type organizations for dealing with PTSD. Even the Vietnam Vets I know preferred disappearing and remaining 'out-of-touch' with many associates. These old men of the G. A. R. enjoyed the narrative they could broadcast. Not until recently has it been so with our generation. Condemnation is a societal affliction, and bias is rampant.
Lubliner.

NFB22

Sergeant Major
I think in today's society there is more of a push toward membership in AA type organizations for dealing with PTSD. Even the Vietnam Vets I know preferred disappearing and remaining 'out-of-touch' with many associates. These old men of the G. A. R. enjoyed the narrative they could broadcast. Not until recently has it been so with our generation. Condemnation is a societal affliction, and bias is rampant.
Lubliner.
I think social groups as a whole have somewhat become a thing of the past these days. Look at the the Elks, Moose or Lions Clubs. With social media, cell phones and what not, these types of groups don't seem as necessary anymore but I think that's part of the problem with our country personally.

I know groups like the Legion and VFW expanded terms of membership over the years to make it easier to join, just not as popular anymore.

Don't really want to go more into it though as to not derail this thread.

Lubliner

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
I think social groups as a whole have somewhat become a thing of the past these days. Look at the the Elks, Moose or Lions Clubs. With social media, cell phones and what not, these types of groups don't seem as necessary anymore but I think that's part of the problem with our country personally.

I know groups like the Legion and VFW expanded terms of membership over the years to make it easier to join, just not as popular anymore.

Don't really want to go more into it though as to not derail this thread.
The G. A. R. carried an exclusive membership, but were delighted to invite 'outsiders' into their gatherings for talks, toasts, and celebration. It was a time of robust prosperity and hope, and they helped unify the nation after a bitter strife and struggle. It seems they lived by the honor of 'What more can I do for my country and fellowmen' even after the terms of service had expired.
Just a small work of art shown in the OP can produce memories and vistas of times and places, left blank if not viewed.
Lubliner.

John Hartwell

Major
Forum Host
The G.A.R. also was an advocate for veterans rights and pensions among other issues . At its peak it was a powerful organization and also endorsed political candidates.
The Veterans' Administration carries that burden today.
Lubliner.
The G.A.R. did a lot of the groundwork in getting the benefits all veterans enjoy today. They made help for the disabled and ageing veteran a recognized national responsibility ... and it was a hard fight, I must say. Opposition to expanded pensions and health benefits was often bitter.

Last edited: