The Knoxville Campaign - Looking for images of battles

CSS Virginia

Cadet
Hello to everybody!

I am sorry to disturb you again, but since a few days, a close friend of mine (a very experienced connoisseur of the ACW) has asked me to ask a very important question on this forum.

See, my friend is actually looking for maps regarding three of the most important battles of the expedition of Burnside in Tennessee of 1863 (the Knoxville campaign): the battles of Cumberland Gap (7-9 September 1863); Blountville (22 September 1863) and Blue Springs (10 October 1863). However, until now, both he and I were unable to find any depiction or map of those battles.

Does anyone know some useful images or, alternatively, can help us find maps of those battles?

Hello to everybody!

I am sorry to disturb you again, but since a few days, a close friend of mine (a very experienced connoisseur of the ACW) has asked me to ask a very important question on this forum.

See, my friend is actually looking for maps regarding three of the most important battles of the expedition of Burnside in Tennessee of 1863 (the Knoxville campaign): the battles of Cumberland Gap (7-9 September 1863); Blountville (22 September 1863) and Blue Springs (10 October 1863). However, until now, both he and I were unable to find any depiction or map of those battles.

Does anyone know some useful images or, alternatively, can help us find maps of those battles?

If you go to the Blue bar at the top of the page look to the right you will see: Q Search tab. With this you can do a search like ( Blue Springs 10 Oct 1863 ) it comes back with 5 pages of information.

If you go to the Blue bar at the top of the page look to the right you will see: Q Search tab. With this you can do a search like ( Blue Springs 10 Oct 1863 ) it comes back with 5 pages of information.

Seduzal - something is wrong with cwt Search and has been for while now. If you actually try to open one of the search results - you get a big whoops screen

CSS try this - in Google type site:civilwartalk.com (space) and then what you are searching for

I suspect the site search got messed up a few weeks back when they changed servers but the site is well indexed by Google with some Google robots typically always monitoring the site. Best of luck and if you are looking for photo's of actual combat, I do not believe they exist.

(correction on last - after typing this I realized I had this problem about a year ago after one of my Firefox add ons updated and started blocking javascript again. Once I gave it permission 'again' to allow javascript on cwt, it follows the link and I no longer get the whoops screen)

Last edited:
Seduzal - something is wrong with cwt Search and has been for while now. If you actually try to open one of the search results - you get a big whoops screen

CSS try this - in Google type site:civilwartalk.com (space) and then what you are searching for

I suspect the site search got messed up a few weeks back when they changed servers but the site is well indexed by Google with some Google robots typically always monitoring the site. Best of luck and if you are looking for photo's of actual combat, I do not believe they exist.

(correction on last - after typing this I realized I had this problem about a year ago after one of my Firefox add ons updated and started blocking javascript again. Once I gave it permission 'again' to allow javascript on cwt, it follows the link and I no longer get the whoops screen)

Have you reported this problem to @civilwartalk ?

I just did a search for "battles of Cumberland Gap" and got this:

1556989980715.png

Are you clicking on Photos & Images after you do your search?

Here you go. Map of the engagement at Blue Springs
1556993319489.png

[New York Herald, October 22, 1863, page 1.]

I haven't located a map of Blountville yet, but did find this article which may be of interest:
1556991048623.png

[The Abingdon Virginian., October 02, 1863, page 2.]

Last edited:
Back