"The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion"

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
If you love to bake, I highly recommend "The King Arthur Baker's Companion", the all-purpose baking cookbook. I call it my bible of baking.

All the recipes are from The King Arthur Flour Company. They were contributed by many and were tested in the kitchen of the company.

The King Arthur Flour Company has been around since 1790 . It was founded by Henry Wood who was primarily an importer and distributor of English-milled flour. The business grew and Henry took on a partner. By 1870, Benjamin Franklin Wood took over the company and it became Sands, Taylor & Wood.

In 1896 they introduced a new premium flour and they named the flour, King Arthur Flour.
It is said the name came about when George Wood attended a performance of the musical King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table.

By 1996 they changed the name of the company to King Arthur Flour Co, Inc. They not only sell the flour but sell baking equipment and other ingredients through their catalog and their flagship store located in Norwich, Vermont.

I also like this book because it has section on proper way to measure, history and explanation of ingredients, and section on the proper tools to use when baking.

I don't believe that I have ever seen any of their flour down South.

Back