CivilWarTalk

Lieutenant General
- ★★★ -
Managing Member & Webmaster
1602162793648.png

The Killer Angels:
The Classic Novel of the Civil War
by Michael Shaara

“My favorite historical novel . . . A superb re-creation of the Battle of Gettysburg, but its real importance is its insight into what the war was about, and what it meant.” —James M. McPherson

In the four most bloody and courageous days of our nation’s history, two armies fought for two conflicting dreams. One dreamed of freedom, the other of a way of life. Far more than rifles and bullets were carried into battle. There were memories. There were promises. There was love. And far more than men fell on those Pennsylvania fields. Bright futures, untested innocence, and pristine beauty were also the casualties of war. Michael Shaara’s Pulitzer Prize–winning masterpiece is unique, sweeping, unforgettable—the dramatic story of the battleground for America’s destiny.

vote now
First and foremost, if you like the book or movie that a person has posted, upvote the suggestion.
If you want to participate in the discussion below, go for it, but don't forget to vote!

You can vote for a suggestion by clicking/tapping 1602162892193.png
on the grey arrow at the right of the first post:
(Or at the bottom of the first post on your phone!)

Once your vote has been recorded, the counter will 1602162884283.png
increase and it and the arrow will change colors:​

Last edited:

farrargirl

Sergeant
Baldwin County, on the Alabama Gulf Coast
This book is sentimental to me. After I retired from State government about 10 years ago, I joined Ancestry and traced my family history to the mid 1600’s. I remember noting that I had many ancestors who fought in the Civil War, but I had never been interested in that war, per se, or any other war, or even American history.

My son has had an on-line book store for over 15 years, dealing mostly with 1st editions, collectibles,etc.
Before a flight to Miami about 10 years ago, I asked him to give me something to read on the flight. He gave me an old worn-out paperback called “The Killer Angels”. The rest is ....history!

nc native

Sergeant
This book is sentimental to me too. My great uncle J. Peyton Moore was a history professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia and he knew I had caught the history bug at a young age. About a year after its release, I received a package in the mail. It was a copy of Killer Angels which I immediately began reading upon receipt from Uncle Peyton as we called him along with another book about Peter Francisco the great American Revolutionary solider which my uncle had a hand in writing. A visit to my grandparents house when Uncle Peyton was there was a treat, he was a great story teller and it was easy to see he had chosen his profession well. Another thing about Uncle Peyton that made him even more admirable, he caught Polio as a youngster and walked everywhere with braces and crutches after that for the rest of his life. The way that he overcame his handicap and his wealth of knowledge made him one relative I will never forget.