* The Entrance to the Kernstown Battlefield

DSC_0195.JPG

* The Pritchard House

DSC_0210.JPG

* The Pritchard House and Stone Wall

DSC_0218.JPG

* The Stone Wall with Marker

DSC_0219.JPG

* Confederate Position : Attempt to break the Union stronghold on Pritchard Hill

DSC_0227.JPG

* Pritchard Hill (Union Position)

DSC_0234.JPG

* Pritchard Hill Marker 1

DSC_0240.JPG

* Pritchard Hill Marker 2

DSC_0236.JPG

* Pritchard Hill Marker 3

DSC_0241.JPG

* Kernstown Battlefield : Shenandoah Valley Circle Tour (Opequon Church)

DSC_0247.JPG

* Shenandoah Valley Circle Tour Marker

DSC_0249.JPG

* Virginia Historic Marker

DSC_0250.JPG

* Rose Hill (Glass Farm)

DSC_0256.JPG

* Photos courtesy of William Bechmann (2014)

Last edited:
Does the battlefield do a decent job separating the events of the 1862 battle from those of the 1864 battle? I'm visiting there next month and am rather more interested in the events of 1864 than 1862.

Jeff,

In my opinion, the staff did an excellent job explaining both campaigns.

Donna Crawford runs the visitor center and grounds.

She is a wonderful human being.

Remember : This battlefield is only open on Saturday (1000 to 1600 hrs) and Sunday (1200 to 1600 hrs) and this venue depends on donations.

The only disappointment was the Glass Farm on Rose Hill was not open for a tour.

Bill

Last edited:
Remember : This battlefield is only open on Saturday (1000 to 1600 hrs) and Sunday (1200 to 1600 hrs) and this venue depends on donations.

After a disappointment at Pickett's Mill in Georgia, I have made a point to double-check the days battlefield parks not part of the NPS are open, so I noticed that Kernstown is only open on Sat/Sun and built it into my itinerary for Saturday. And I'll be sure to make a donation.

Is the place where James Mulligan was mortally wounded marked in any way?

After a disappointment at Pickett's Mill in Georgia, I have made a point to double-check the days battlefield parks not part of the NPS are open, so I noticed that Kernstown is only open on Sat/Sun and built it into my itinerary for Saturday. And I'll be sure to make a donation.

Is the place where James Mulligan was mortally wounded marked in any way?

Yes, sir.....

Near the Stone Wall

DSC_0222.JPG

Some useless trivia: In 1842, the Union commander here at the Kernstown Battle, James Shields, was an Illinois state auditor. He received a bit of public criticism from Mr. Lincoln. Incensed, Shields challenged Lincoln to a duel. Fortunately, cooler heads prevailed and the duel was called off at the last minute. General Shields was seriously wounded at this battle, and a grateful Lincoln nominated him for a promotion to major general.
See more: http://civilwartalk.com/threads/lincoln-challenged-to-a-duel.104619/

The Second Battle of Kernstown was fought on July 24, 1864, at Kernstown, Virginia (outside Winchester) as part of the Valley Campaigns of 1864 in the American Civil War. The Confederate Army of the Valley under Lieutenant General Jubal A. Early soundly defeated the Federal Army of West Virginia under Brigadier General George Crook and drove it from the Shenandoah Valley back over the Potomac River into Maryland. As a result, Early was able to launch the Confederacy's last major raid into Northern territory, attacking the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad in Maryland and West Virginia and burning Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, in retaliation for the burning of some civilian houses and farms earlier in the campaign.

Back