The Kernstown Battlefield

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

eBrowne

Private
Shields was wounded on March 22, 1862, the day before the Battle of Kernstown. There was an artillery duel between Chew's Battery (C.S.A.) and Battery H, 1st Ohio. While observing this duel, Shields was struck in the arm by a piece of shell. Shields was ultimately taken back to Winchester and his broken arm was set. Col. Kimball commanded the Union troops on March 23. Shields, from his bed, did send some orders to Kimball, but Kimball used his own judgement and probably ignored most of Shields' orders. For his part, Shields would write a fraudulent Official Report which greatly magnified his own accomplishments. This report and Shields' further blunders with his brigades during the Port Republic fiasco ultimately was his undoing. Shields was characterized as being "vainglorius."

8thFlorida

Sergeant
* The Entrance to the Kernstown Battlefield

View attachment 48527

* The Pritchard House

View attachment 48528

* The Pritchard House and Stone Wall

View attachment 48529

* The Stone Wall with Marker

View attachment 48530

* Confederate Position : Attempt to break the Union stronghold on Pritchard Hill

View attachment 48531

* Pritchard Hill (Union Position)

View attachment 48532

* Pritchard Hill Marker 1

View attachment 48533

* Pritchard Hill Marker 2

View attachment 48534

* Pritchard Hill Marker 3

View attachment 48535

* Kernstown Battlefield : Shenandoah Valley Circle Tour (Opequon Church)

View attachment 48536

* Shenandoah Valley Circle Tour Marker

View attachment 48537

* Virginia Historic Marker

View attachment 48538

* Rose Hill (Glass Farm)

View attachment 48539

* Photos courtesy of William Bechmann (2014)
Good timing. I just read about this battle in a new book last night! Awesome pics dude

JeffBrooks

Sergeant Major
When I visited in 2014, I thought the battlefield was excellently done, especially given that it is run by a local group without direct involvement of state or federal agencies.

One thing I did note - and I think it stands as a cautionary tale for battlefield interpretative markers - is that one of the markers references a nearby auto dealership or fast food place (I forget which) to help the visitor gets his/her bearings on the events of the battle. That establishment went out of business and is no longer there. Obviously it would be far too much trouble to change the marker, so I think those creating such things need to remember not to do this.

Blockaderunner

Sergeant
I visited Kernstown back in 2007. The house was undergoing restoration and the visitor centre was closed. One of the restorers came across and spoke to me. When he realised where I was from, he scratched his chin and said "well you've come a long way" then opened the visitor centre. We had a long talk and both agreed that battlefields should be more like Kernstown and less like Gettysburg.